Header
Header
Header
 


19 February 2008

Designing dilemmas








When the British and Americans publish books they rarely talk to each other, and they always think that they know better than the other side of the Atlantic. They are also pretty equal in their inability to admit they might be wrong. I therefore seek your opinion. Here is the new American cover, on the right, for A Prisoner of Birth. The British version is on the left, and also on the home page of my website. They could not be more different. Which one do you prefer?

26 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff. Love your books and prison diary. I prefer the British one. US one looks like a biography of an obscure MP or something!

4:41 PM  
Blogger Robert Iddiols said...

i prefer the british version - the american typogrphy seems too narrow and dark. the colours are not as striking as the english version. oh well.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Ian russell said...

is that my left or your left?

actually, I think they could be a lot more different with a bit of imagination. I'm not struck by either but if pressed I would say the smaller one would slip into the pocket more easily.

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeffrey..

I like the one on the left, the one on the right looks like the gates of Buckingham Palace or Westminster but it does not create so much interest in me as the elaborate key, on the cover of the book on the left.

Richard

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like the American version. It looks modern and quite intriguing. The British version is more classical and looks like it's an adventure/mystery novel cover for teenagers. I haven't read it yet, I am still waiting for it to be published here in Canada, beginning of March. I can't wait for that!

2:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like the American version. It looks modern and quite intriguing. The British version is more classical and looks like it's an adventure/mystery novel cover for teenagers. I haven't read it yet, I am still waiting for it to be published here in Canada, beginning of March. I can't wait for that!

2:03 AM  
Blogger Raghu (a.k.a Salvatore)™ said...

My Lord,

I agree with Andrew. The US version does not portray a prison at all. It looks like the gate of a large mansion. What's with that font on the American cover?

If these are your only two options then it isn't even a contest.

I sincerely hope that only the British one will hit the stands worldwide.

3:09 AM  
Blogger Richard Havers said...

To me the British cover looks like one I've seen a hundred times before. The American one will more likely grab you from across a crowded book store.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Mahesh said...

I prefer the American one as well. The British one is too "British" [for the want of a better word] and one that seems to be around all the time.

Regardless of the cover, I'm going to get it :)

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its interesting (and appreciated) for the chance to express an opinion.........

The British one is particularly like the cover of 'First Among Equals' and, as the contributor Richard Havers says, it's very re-assuringly "Archeresque".

The American cover-version is a bold re-invention, and presumably alludes to the author's plot........I like it, but I really don't appreciate the bland background colour, and assume that it too is influenced by the story.

(At the risk of being technical, if the publisher sticks with this, surely the rest of the back- catalogue would have to be done stylistically the same way?)



I don't mean to come across all 'Ellenor Rigby', but I have a unadventurous life; however my brother has friends in low places, and if my brother says that he has a pal who worked last year with one of the guys on the short-list for this year's Best Actor, and HE has expressed an interest in this book, then I don't think it matters a d*** how the cover looks......it's sure to be good, and word-of-mouth is always the key......

12:55 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Hello. I prefer the American version as I find the cover evocative and interesting. The darker cover of the British one might not stand out as well.

Just finished Prison Diary and don't want to read anything else this week until the spell you cast has worn off. Well done!

2:07 PM  
Blogger Karthik Murali said...

the one on the let ,with the key is much better and kinda different

3:41 PM  
Blogger Nonni said...

I prefer the American cover of Cat O’Nine Tales --- O how I enjoyed the book! --- to the British one. As for A Prisoner of Birth, I think that the British publisher did a better job; the British cover of A Prisoner of Birth will be more pleasing to the eye with the American cover of Cat O’Nine Tales on the bookshelf. So I think that they will do well to swap the covers in order to make the two books aesthetically more in sync.

12:49 AM  
Blogger Peter de Run said...

I prefer the British version - it has an element of mystery and a key always symbolizes it's unlocking. The American versions looks like the entrance to a Russian mansion or an islamic residence - a no-go for me.

2:00 AM  
Blogger iml said...

The british version. Has more depth and feel to what's in store in the book.

3:27 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

the american version for me.

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Brittish one please M'Lord

Keep Writing

Kindest Regards

Ian

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jeffrey

It is great to have the opportunity to give you our opinion on your book cover - to be honest, I prefer the british one - like someone said previously, the book immediately stands out as one of yours

Good luck - can't wait to read it!!!

Rosemary

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BOTTOM LINE? IF YOUR NAME IS ON IT, I'LL READ IT. IF I HAD TO MAKE A CHOICE I'D HAVE TO GO WITH THE BRITISH COVER AS THE AMERICAN COVER LOOKS LIKE THE GATES LEADING TO A CASTLE INSTEAD OF A PRISON.
I READ KANE & ABEL OVER 25 YRS AGO & YOU HAD ME HOOKED. GOD REALLY BLESSED YOU WITH A TALENT OF STORYTELLING. PLEASE KEEP THEM COMING. THANK YOU

5:27 PM  
Blogger Neel said...

Even though I have no idea what the covers of your other have looked like in different countries, I think that the British version would definitely compliment your book more than the American cover

11:56 AM  
Blogger freeskinnyme said...

I would buy read your book irrespective of the cover - been a huge fan ever since I discovered your books.
But if I had to pick, it would be the British one this time. Hema

3:33 PM  
Blogger yasmin said...

Dear Jeffrey

Definately the British version - the one with the key. There's more colour......

The gate/fence wouldn't grab my attention as much as the key....

best
yasmin
in memory of Charlie Rocket
http://www.myspace.com/132501307
25 feb 08

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I rip the covers off first anyway so couldn't care less. As long as it's thick.

11:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi from Australia, I prefer the British cover - looks like a Jeffrey book - more intrigue - where as the American one looks quite bland. Can't wait to read it.
Regards Ann

12:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now it's probably just me... but is there a bit of an S&M theme to the American version? That curved metal, with the slightly bulbous shapes, reminds me of one of those metal bed heads a bit, with the word Prisoner across it etc etc. Prefer it to the British version with the key - a bit cheesy?

Ade

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I first saw the American cover it looked like the headboard of an old brass bed, and I didn't get what the book could possibly be about. I am an American, actually a red Ameican Indian who lives on a reservation, and I prefer the UK cover.

4:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home