Header
Header
Header
 


17 January 2008

First review

Actors and singers should never read reviews, and I feel writers ought to fall into the same category. However, A Prisoner of Birth has received its first review in the United States in Publisher's Weekly. The reason PW reviews a book long before it's published, is so that booksellers and other outlets are pre-warned about a book they may wish to order, and which may influence the number of copies they take. So I felt I would share this first one with you: “Bestseller Archer pays homage to Dumas’s The Count of Monte Cristo in this delicious updating of the adventure classic….the author’s firsthand knowledge of prison life and legal maneuvers helps make this a thoroughly enjoyable entertainment.”

American publication will be on March 4th and the British follow three days later on the 7th.

27 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

waiting to get my hands on it.

and Sir, is it ok if I email my review? for your attention.!

thanks, Yuva
a crazy Indian fan

3:48 PM  
Blogger Connie said...

I am one of your most ardent fans. I've read every single one of your books and always look forward to the next one. They're incredible! Thank you. AND if I wasn't married to my sweetheart of 47 years, I think I'd ask you out for a date! Hah!! Please never ever stop writing.

10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi sir.
like many before me, i'm such a big fan of yours. if fan rather than supporter seems appropriate enough. erm, i'm halfway thru' false illusion and am too, engrossed in your masterpiece once again. any idea if your newest book will be out in asia becos im from singapore? thank god for your gift of writing!

6:32 PM  
Blogger iml said...

Dear Sir,
Looking forward to getting my copy. Have a feeling that it'll be awhile before it gets to S'pore. Any chance of you visiting this part of the world? Would be over the moon, if I can get my book autographed by Sir Jeffrey Archer.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good evening Jeffrey,

I just wanted to let you know I am also eagerly waiting the release of your next book.

I first read Kane & Able as a 13 year old and I think I've read it at least 15 times since. I think my next favourite would have to be As A Crow Flies.

Thank you so much for your wonderful gift of story telling.

With kind regards
Debbie Donohue
Sydney, Australia

7:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have read that you work in 2 hour blocks. Are you still doing that Jeffrey?

9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jeffrey

A good review. Hope your book sells well when it comes out.

yasmin
in memory of Charlie Rocket
http://www.myspace.com/132501307
20 Jan 08

1:37 AM  
Blogger Karthik Murali said...

cant wait to grab a copy , as i lay my eyes on the empty bookstores , expecting like the father of a soon to be born child ,asking the inevitable question "When will it ever come out ?"

5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Lord Archer
I am a great fan of yours and have read all your books many many times.
The review you quote from publishers weekly sounds great, but even if wasnt this good, your true fans would still buy it. *they know , forget the reviews, if its written by jeffery archer it has to be a masterpiece*
Eeffoc sorry to correct you , but Jeffery Archers book that you must be reading should be 'false impression' not "false illusion".
Cheers
Sachal (Pakistan)

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fantastic review - just makes me all the more impatient to read it! Will you be doing signings of your book? If you are, how do we get the details

Kind Regards

Rosemary

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cant wait to read your Lordship..

9:59 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

Many thanks to all for your kind comments which are much appreciated.

Iml - although I have no plans to visit Singapore this year, the book should be in the shops there at the same time - March 7th.

debs - many thanks - I'll be doing a book tour to Ausralia in April, and will post details on my website.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

anonymous - I'm pretty disciplined when it comes to writing, and do indeed write in 2 hour blocks - 6-8am, 10-12, 2-4pm, 6-8pm.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

Rosemary - I will be doing some signings of my new book, but can't release dates just at the moment - again, keep an eye on my website or this blog for details. Best wishes, Jeffrey

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Sir:
As an Englishwoman adrift in South Carolina...one who couldn't sleep last night..thanks so much for writing "Heaven".(I read the whole thing no sleep at all!)I have been away from the UK for so long..why for goodness sake did they send you to jail for so long..and has it changed you in any profound way..? Are you embittered?
And are you ever coming to CharlestonSC ..we have seen more than enough of Bill Clinton!!!

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello your Lordship.

2 weeks and no comment? Can you call this blog? More like an ad opportunity.

I have to say that I am excited about reading your book "False Impressions" though. When I read the prologue about your prison sentence I had to look your history up online. I must say that I am very impressed.

Look fwd to your next blog.

Joe

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Lord Archer.

Your Prison Diaries were amazing. I would like to let you know that I also bought all three copies for a dear friend of mine, a Deputy High Court Judge and Recorder who read them and told me he almost wept at them. The good news is.............that he tells me that he has never sentenced anyone to a Custodial Sentence since reading them and indeed has recommended that every QC in his Chambers should read them also.

Thats Good News Lord Archer.

I am a Criminal Defence Solicitor myself and your diaries are exacting to say the very least. I may take up the tip on how to have my rather untidy garden dug up by the Police. I laughed until I cried at that. !

With Best Wishes.

Kate.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

I was sorely disappointed that the new book was delayed...I was expecting it Jan. '08. Today @ the local bookstore they told me March 4th. I will most certainly be getting a copy the moment it hits the shelf. I am a "white-knuckled pilot" that must fly to Beijing in mid March and I think your book is the only thing that will get me through the 13+ hours in the air. Unfortunately, it will take every ounce of willpower not to read the book before the scheduled flight! I have read and enjoyed all of your books and recommend them to everyone. Thank you for providing such wonderful reading pleasure. Never stop writing!
B. Rhodes

1:00 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

janet - I will be in the US in March, but sadly not in Charleston this trip. Delighted you enjoyed 'Heaven'. Best wishes, Jeffrey

12:36 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

Joe - you're right about me not doing a post for a while, but I'm in the middle of a writing trip. I'll bring it up-to-date shortly as I'll be back in London soon.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

Katie - thank you very much for your comments, delighted you enjoyed the Prison Diaries. Best wishes, Jeffrey

12:46 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

Bonnie - sorry the book's not out until March, but hope you enjoy it! Have a good trip. Best wishes, Jeffrey.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

A note to the kind lady from Chicago who sent me the lovely Lalique tortoise at Christmas - many thanks indeed - it's on my desk while I write, and will be for every future book. Best wishes, Jeffrey.

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Jeff

I remember your references to Shepherd's Pie parties in your prison diaries and still recall them whenever I hear about this dish.

Is a Shepherd's Pie party an Archer family tradition, a celebration of one of your favourite dishes or an English custom?

Do you have a favourite recipe? Do you ever make it yourself?

Do you serve individual or large communal Shepherd's Pies to your guests?

Sorry about the number of questions, I'm just very interested.

Of course, I too cannot wait to read A Prisoner of Birth.

My best wishes for 2008.

Stacey of Melbourne

11:08 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

Stacey - Shepherd's Pie is a bit of an Archer family tradition and is one of my favourite foods. The best Shepherd's Pie I've ever tasted is made by Nicky Swinburn, the chef who caters our parties. She's a fantastic cook - I'm not.
Best wishes, Jeffrey.

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeffrey,

I too am looking forward to your new book and your tour of Australia. I hope that I will be able to see you whilst you are here? Is Melbourne on the agenda?
Viv Evans Melb OZ

9:44 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Jeffrey, I had asked you earlier why your previous novel "the gospel according to judas" is not well marketed in India. It is still not available out here nor are many people aware of it. You had said you would look into it. Being a huge fan I am sad to see that Mumbai which is amongst the best cities in the world is ignored as a market. Im sorry to say this but i hope its not biased behaviour against the region. please inform me how do i land my hands on a copy out here?

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home