I rose early yesterday morning to watch Muttiah Muralitharan take his 709th test wicket when he clean bowled Paul Collingwood, and later admitted that the ball had gone straight on when he'd expected it to turn. So it was a fluke, because Collingwood had played it correctly. Considerable debate has taken place over the past years about whether the Sri Lankan is a chucker. The Australians are in no doubt that he is, while the technical experts who have studied his wrist action carefully give him the benefit of the doubt. As a layman I feel it only fair to point out that he only bowls at 50 miles an hour, not 100, so world class batsmen ought to be able to handle him.
I had the privilege of doing an auction for Muttiah in Jersey a couple of years ago in aid of tsunami victims, and found him the most delightful man, though I am bound to say, I still think Shane Warne is the greatest bowler the game has ever seen - despite the statistics proving me wrong. I just wish England had either of them.
I had the privilege of doing an auction for Muttiah in Jersey a couple of years ago in aid of tsunami victims, and found him the most delightful man, though I am bound to say, I still think Shane Warne is the greatest bowler the game has ever seen - despite the statistics proving me wrong. I just wish England had either of them.



5 Comments:
England is coming up with a record breaking bowler in the name of MONTY PANESAR ..lol .. no hard feelings.
Even IF murli chucks , getting 709 wickets is a feat. Ofcourse shane warne is the greatest , but credit should be given to murli.
What do u think will be the result of the ashes this time ?
Hrushit (INDIA)
He is a fantastic bowler to watch though isn't he? England are failing a bit in Sri Lanka I think...
Dear My Lord,
I think Murli is a great bowler and deserves all the allocades he can get for becoming the world's highest wicket taker. I beg to differ on your thoughts about Warne, Shane Warne was a great bowler, (I dont agree with you about him being the 'Don Bradman' of bowlers) but Warne was not a great human being, unlike the Sri Lankan bowler who is!!! Shane was not a good ambassador for cricket. He was always in the news for the 'wrong' reasons, and to be a great human being means more than just being a great bowler.
Cheers and a good day to you Sir
best Regards
Sachal (Pakistan)
sachal - you make a valid point, but I was only talking about Warne's bowling. Best wishes.
Jeffrey, Would love to hear/read your comments on the new game Twenty20?
ve- melbourne Oz
Post a Comment
<< Home