Header
Header
Header
 


20 December 2007

Much Ado About Great Theatre

Last night Mary and I went to the Olivier Theatre to see a production of Much Ado About Nothing with Simon Russell Beale and Zoe Wanamaker as Benedick and Beatrice. I have over the years seen these parts played by Donald Sinden and Judi Dench and Robert Stevens and Maggie Smith, so one naturally was sceptical about whether they could equal those high standards. Simon Russell Beale was outstanding, and the moment when he falls into the swimming pool - an old gag - is among the funniest three or four minutes of slapstick comedy I've seen. Zoe Wanamaker was spiky and shrewish, and the fact that they are both, dare I say, perhaps a little older than Shakespeare might have intended, didn't seem to matter. Incidentally, an American friend asked what I was doing in the evening, and I told her that I was going to the National Theatre to see one of England's greatest actors. She'd never heard of Simon Russell Beale, but then you wouldn't, if you think actors can only be found on the big or small screen. I could make a list of performers who deserve the accolade great, but you will only find them on the English stage. Incidentally, I can't wait to see Mr Russell-Beale's Malvolio followed by King Lear.

A couple of years ago I complained bitterly to Sir Hayden Phillips, the chairman of the National, about the food in the Mezzanine restaurant. He promised me that they'd employed a new catering manager, and that things would change - they have. So if you want great theatre and a good meal, you can get them both at the National Theatre.

As the holiday season is about to begin, I won't be able to give you a report on my second visit to War Horse on Mary's birthday on Saturday, and to Stephen Fry's Cinderella at the Old Vic with the rest of the family on Boxing Day, so may I wish all my readers a very happy Christmas and a successful New Year.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your kind wishes to the troops and for the superb blogs; I have seen or read reviews of a lot of what you seen at the theatre recently, and your judgements are invariably on the money.

Particularly, I hope the book is another home run; if I read the synopsis of just one more half-baked mystery treasure hunt with spiritual overtones, I will scream!

4:02 PM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I would like to see Much Ado too, thanks for reminding me to book tickets.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

ellee seymour - hope you enjoy the show as much as I did. anonymous - many thanks, appreciated. Best wishes, Jeffrey

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home