Header
Header
Header
 


20 December 2007

The art of Ronald Searle

This morning's papers are giving the new St Trinian's film rave reviews, which reminds me that the originals were drawn by that magnificent artist, Ronald Searle. He was recently described in The Times as the greatest illustrator of our age, and by Gerald Scarfe as the cartoonist's cartoonist.

Ronald Searle is now in his eighties. Surely this remarkable man should be given a knighthood, not only for service to his country (he spent four years in a Japanese war camp), but for simply being the best.

4 Comments:

Blogger Darkersideofbridgetjones said...

I couldn't agree more. I do get annoyed when people like Jules Pipe in Hackney get awarded OBE's. It was Jules Pipe that closed the only boys' school in Hackney down. This resulted in many hundreds of boys having to be educated out of the borough, in Tower Hamlets, where they were subjected to a lot of bullying.

Jules Pipe's administration is a joke, you only need to look at the spiralling costs of the Clissold Lesiure Centre, which is now twenty million pounds over budget.

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember watching the really old St. Trinian films. They were well funny.

I'll probably have to wait til this hits Sky Movies before I get watch it.

yasmin
Birmingham.UK
in memory of Charlie Rocket
http://www.myspace.com/132501307

2:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you .

Yes, I went for a rare cinema visit & watched St Trinians'-it was brilliant & Rupert Everett was superb as Miss Fritton in his double role.

Spotted you strolling through the House of Fraser Store in Victoria just before Christmas!

All the best,

Sophia

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Recently there was a very good book indeed about Ronald Searle and his prison camp experiences, and that, in itself, should have put him on a short-list for proper honours.

Who knows?

Perhaps Mr Blair's last Honours List will be fair...........

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home