Took a cab yesterday from St James's to the Soho Hotel for a private screening - set up by the Donmar - of Sleuth. I was just about to make a phone call to my office when the cab driver began to tell me about his father's experiences as a POW in Japan. The story, although interesting, went on and on, lasting right up until he pulled up at the front door to the hotel, and I confess I was inwardly cursing. I jumped out ready to pay the fare, when the driver said, "This one's on me, Jeff, love the books" - two lessons learned.
I was fortunate enough to see the original Schaffer production of Sleuth with Anthony Quayle and Keith Baxter, and much enjoyed it. Later I saw the film with Laurence Olivier and Michael Caine which I didn't enjoy quite as much, but nevertheless, found it very entertaining. The third attempt, with Caine taking Olivier's role and Jude Law as the handsome young lover of Caine's wife, didn't work for me at all. I spent some time trying to analyse why. It's possible that nothing ever seems quite as good the second time, let alone the third, although I think The Godfather part II was better than The Godfather part I. However, on balance, I think it was that the chemistry between the two men didn't have me on the edge of my seat, which certainly was achieved in the original stage play.
I was fortunate enough to see the original Schaffer production of Sleuth with Anthony Quayle and Keith Baxter, and much enjoyed it. Later I saw the film with Laurence Olivier and Michael Caine which I didn't enjoy quite as much, but nevertheless, found it very entertaining. The third attempt, with Caine taking Olivier's role and Jude Law as the handsome young lover of Caine's wife, didn't work for me at all. I spent some time trying to analyse why. It's possible that nothing ever seems quite as good the second time, let alone the third, although I think The Godfather part II was better than The Godfather part I. However, on balance, I think it was that the chemistry between the two men didn't have me on the edge of my seat, which certainly was achieved in the original stage play.



4 Comments:
How do all the unworthy people ( just kidding ) get a chance to meet you in person, while, we unfortunates ....are just dreaming about the golden opportunity ??????
When will you be back in New York ( I mean in public)?????
Who am I to talk? But, as a purely personal opinion, given the quality of the actors, the writer and the marvelous gift of the director to make 'The Bard' accessable, it's sad to concur that the film is utterly dreadful.
The camera angles/shots aren't good enough for a wedding video, the script is clearly written by a brilliant but seriously ill man, Sir Michael lacks the necessary energy and Jude Law, (Britain's Robert Redford in that his looks always undercut his ability) is left with a poorly directed/underwritten role that hideously implodes in the so-called 'third act'.
For that matter, considering that this is meant to be the house of a millionare author, why on earth does it look like something that was built in 6 hours for 50p as a challenge a home improvement show hosted by a daytime TV host like Nick Knowles??????
Sorry for the rant, but if you have a passion for movies, it's hard not to be angry about a missed chance.........
Apros of nothing; ( I only thought about this last night walking the dog on the beach) much has been said about Sir Michael Caine coming full-circle and playing Lord Olivier's part/"apprentice becomes master" & how dreadful it all is, etc-etc;
However, for anyone interested, The Great Man has already more-or-less played that role brilliantly in a very under-rated comedy thriller that originated on Broadway called 'Deathtrap' (1982) written by the late Ira Levin,(Rosemary's Baby) and directed by Sidney Lumet, (12 Angry Men et al).
It's one of those films you get on late night tv over Christmas, worth 90 minutes of your time.......
anonymous - Many thanks for your comments. Twelve Angry Men is one of the greatest films of all time.
Jeffrey
Post a Comment
<< Home