Last night I did an auction at the Reuters Building in Canary Wharf for PhotoVoice. Should you ever be visiting Canary Wharf, I advise you to take a guide dog, a compass and a friend, and even when I found the building, I had to park 15 minutes away - frankly, take the train or a cab. The auction was of 30 photographs by famous photographers and photo-journalists in aid of a charity that provides photographic training for disadvantaged young people, particularly in developing countries, thereby giving them the skills to transform their lives.
The group who organised the evening were young and enthusiastic, and had come up with 30 first class photos, including ones by Robert Doisneau, Nick Danziger, Bryan Adams and John Swannell. The audience was sprinkled with young people from the city clearly thinking of starting a photographic collection, as well as real pros on the look out for a bargain, and that combination allowed us to raise just over £40,000 for the charity. If one or two of the sales were completed afterwards, plus the silent auction, I think they should end up with £70-80,000, making it a thoroughly worthwhile evening. It's wonderful to see a whole new generation of young people wanting to give their time and energy supporting things they believe in and I admire them immensely. I wish the press would sometimes write about what people like this group are doing and not just concentrate on those who only harm society. Still, I don't suppose that would sell newspapers.
The group who organised the evening were young and enthusiastic, and had come up with 30 first class photos, including ones by Robert Doisneau, Nick Danziger, Bryan Adams and John Swannell. The audience was sprinkled with young people from the city clearly thinking of starting a photographic collection, as well as real pros on the look out for a bargain, and that combination allowed us to raise just over £40,000 for the charity. If one or two of the sales were completed afterwards, plus the silent auction, I think they should end up with £70-80,000, making it a thoroughly worthwhile evening. It's wonderful to see a whole new generation of young people wanting to give their time and energy supporting things they believe in and I admire them immensely. I wish the press would sometimes write about what people like this group are doing and not just concentrate on those who only harm society. Still, I don't suppose that would sell newspapers.



5 Comments:
Another great one for you - its sounds like the perfect combination of events!! There are some great photographic blogs in blogspot - but I am sure you know that better than I.
When I go to Canary Wharf. I drive to Epping and park at the tube station,Take the Central Line tube and change onto the DLR at Stratford.I find it easy from where I live.
Hello Jeffrey
you said:
" I wish the press would sometimes write about what people like this group are doing and not just concentrate on those who only harm society."
I totally agree with you. There is not enough reported in the press about what others do or are willing to do to help & improve our society & the world in general.
This is the 1st time I've seen your website & blog. Your name came up in a news article about suicide. So I thought I'd check you out. ( I used to work with someone who admired your work greatly & said that you would be the only person out there she would like to meet ).
I've not had time to read all your blog articles as it's now 2am (I'm in the UK). I'll come back later....
yasmin
never let go.
in memory of Charlie Rocket
reason for suicide
http://www.myspace.com/132501307
Again, I take my hat off to you.
I know things can be tricky commenting upon politics, but can you give us an insight to how you think the tory Party is faring at the moment?
gazzer38 - rather well, but it's a long time before the election, probably 2010, and the Conservatives will need a 6 point lead just to be the largest party.
Post a Comment
<< Home