Header
Header
Header
 


21 November 2007

A night at the theatre

Last night my theatre club went to see Glengarry Glen Ross at the Apollo Theatre. Those of us who recall the performance of Jack Lemmon and Al Pacino, could only expect to be disappointed. We were wrong. Jonathan Pryce was quite outstanding, and his opening scene of 15 minutes, devastatingly set the pace for the whole play. I won't single out anyone else, as the cast was strong throughout, which is demanded for this particular piece. David Mamet's play is of course dated, in that people don't need to use the F-word in every sentence nowadays to show that they're a pretty rough lot. Nevertheless, putting that on one side, it's a damn good story, well told. Recommended, but not for Grannys or the children - keep sending them to the Sound of Music.

9 Comments:

Blogger Aditi Minda said...

wowee!! Monsieur Jeffrey Archer, I must be your biggest fan in india. I want to create the best collection of jeffrey Archer...I just came across your blog today! In fact i have a blog dedicated solely to you in wordpress...I just love the way you write!

6:37 AM  
Blogger Aditi Minda said...

Sir, are you ever planning to make a trip to India? I would just love to see you once! Of course i will want at least one of your books in my collection to be signed by you!

6:42 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

aditi minda - many thanks for your comments. Delighted that you enjoy my books. I hope to visit India again next year with my new novel, 'A Prisoner of Birth', and I will post details on my website. Best wishes, Jeffrey.

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Archer,
I would like to thank you for writing the prison diaries (not that I am at all glad that you had to spend any time there) but it has been an eye-opener for me and has been helping me through one of the toughest times in my life. I hope that I would be able to share more with you soon.

Thank you again for sharing your gift of writing with the world.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Karthik Murali said...

Delighted to hear that u are visiting India...
Have read ur entire collection,not even missing out on one and jus waiting to grab a copy of A Prisoner of Birth , as soon it hits the bookstores.

I'd jus like to ask if we could get to download and read ur plays in a document format , as we arent able to get them anywhere else....

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post is for both Ja and aditi minda .
1st aditi i live in india and can assure u that u have serious competition for being no 1 fan in india

JA , pleaseee visit Mumbai whenever you come to India.And am i to assume that "A prisoner of birth " is relasing in India at the same time with the rest of the world in March 2008. DO REPLY SIR.

Hrushi (India)

2:09 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

Hrushi - yes, the publication date for India is the same as the UK, 7th March. Best wishes, Jeffrey.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

karthik murali - my last play, The Accused, was published by Methuen and they hold the rights, so at the moment I'm afraid it can't be downloaded. Should this change, I'll post details on my website. Best wishes, Jeffrey.

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ill best Pryce was great....do you find the story depressing?...ala Death of a Salesman?...hope they bring it to Broadway..Freddie in Greenwich

4:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home