Header
Header
Header
 


30 November 2007

Horses at War

If you are going to go to the theatre over Christmas, forget the plethora of musicals that dominate the West End, and go and see War Horse at the National Theatre. I consider it to be one of the finest productions that the National has ever mounted, and the cheering at the end left me in no doubt that everyone in the theatre felt the same way as me. The story is set in the first World War but it's not about the soldiers, the officers or even Britain at the time, it's about the horses that were sent to war, and two in particular. When the curtain came down, the applause was not just for the two main actors - both unknown to me, both quite outstanding - but for the six men and two women who had worked the horses; they are best described as puppeteers, but I can tell you that because of their superb skills, you become convinced they are real horses on the battlefields.

There are some amazing productions on in London at the moment which are clearly important in British theatre - Patrick Stewart's Macbeth at the Gielgud, sold out, Ewan McGregor in Othello at the Donmar, sold out, Ian McKellen's Lear at the New London Theatre, sold out. I will have the privilege of seeing Lear and Othello on Monday and Wednesday next week and will report on both, but I have to say that they are going to have to be wholly exceptional to stop me making War Horse my play of the year.

3 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Hello Jeffrey

You are certainly lucky to have such a large selection of theatres in London. Here in Glasgow, we have only three worth talking about and over Christmas they all have a pantomine!

However, I will be in London on the weekend of the 12th January and all the productions that you have recommended are sold out. Your blog obviously boosts ticket sales! I fear I will be forced to try for a ticket for one of the musicals.

The trip will be well worth while though, as we have tickets for The Tutankhamun Exhibition at the Dome and The Terracotta Warriors at the British Museum. We also plan to visit the Paul Merton Collection of art at the Royal Academy.

Kind regards and have a peaceful and happy festive season.

David

10:30 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

david - Personally, I would go to the Millais exhibition at Tate Britain (closes 13 January) before the Merton at the RA, but whatever you see, I hope you enjoy it. Best wishes.

8:57 AM  
Blogger David said...

Hello Jeffrey

Thanks for the advice...have just booked tickets for the Millais exhibition...last entry on Sunday 13th January.

Going to be a busy weekend in London now as we are still going to see the Paul Melon exhibition (not the Paul Merton exhibition I said earlier...whoever he is!) Come to think of it, you would be good at hosting HIGNFY!

Kind regards
David

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home