I went to see The Giant at the Hampstead Theatre last night. As it was written by Antony Sher and directed by Gregory Doran, and the subject was Michelangelo and Leonardo da Vinci, I assumed I was in for an evening of bliss. Perhaps I was just tired from hours of editing the page proofs of A Prisoner of Birth, but I fear I nodded off during the first act, and decided to go home and have a good night's sleep.



2 Comments:
dear archer..
Im rohini and im a bigg fan of u..
i jus love d way u write d buks..
y do u always pick politics??
is it ur favourite topic??
we r waiting eagerly for ur new buk the prisnor by birth..
gudday archer..
rohini
comment off topic. Hi, I'm a Pole, living in UK at the moment. Lately I have found and read your book Kane and Abel and I must say I have mixed feelings. After first few pages I thought 'wow, good job!'. It seems you have made a lot of research on Poland, or you know some responsible Pole yourself. But after few hundred pages I felt more and more disapointed and I can't help myself- I have to post few corrections. First of all, you mix full names with their short forms: Jan and Janek are the same name, Katya is Russian (Polish version of this name is Kasia) and Wladek is a short form of Wladyslaw (it is not good that this name would not appear in it's full form in the book) I have never met any Pole named Abel. And his wife's name is strange. Zaphia? What language is that? Propably you meant Zofia (Polish for Sophie), a husband would use short for of this name: Zosia. There are more brands of vodka than the Danzig brand, and toy hardly ever eat barszcz, bigos and pierogi together because it would be like eating a hamburger and a hot dog and a steak at the same time. I absolutely love all the mentions of Polish history, culture and proverbs- good job here! One more comment: Abel is Polish but he seems to have a mind of a typical American. Waiter interested in stock market? Abel acts like a typical, ruthless American and fulfills the rags to riches schemata, whereas Poles are hopeless romantics, full of ideals and fantasies. Wow, that's a pretty long comment but I had to do this. Anyway, congratulations on a brilliant book, and please a bit more research next time.
Post a Comment
<< Home