For the past week I've been reading - very slowly - the proofs of A Prisoner of Birth, and this morning at 7.47 am, I turned the last page. Just in time, as I fly to New York today for a pre-launch of the book - that will be explained when I return on Friday.
The process of correcting proofs takes about 50 hours, 6 minutes a page, and although the final changes may only be small, they can often make a big difference. But the book has finally been taken away from me, and all I can do is wait to hear your verdict when it's published in March. Yes, every author believes that their latest book is their best, though perhaps years later they are able to make a more rational assessment. However, I am in no doubt that A Prisoner of Birth is the best piece of work I have ever done.
The process of correcting proofs takes about 50 hours, 6 minutes a page, and although the final changes may only be small, they can often make a big difference. But the book has finally been taken away from me, and all I can do is wait to hear your verdict when it's published in March. Yes, every author believes that their latest book is their best, though perhaps years later they are able to make a more rational assessment. However, I am in no doubt that A Prisoner of Birth is the best piece of work I have ever done.



13 Comments:
I fear that Lord JA worries too much..........
It certainly true, as Warren Beatty said; "you create something artistic, but you only know the true worth when you extract it from the vault after 10 years".
But surely the one crucial, elusive trick is to be entertaining.
I'm forever passing-on copies of JA books to first-timers, and they always want to read some more;
There's always plenty of great first-time writers, agonizing over every sylable to merely impress the reader and the reviewer; but there's precious few authors who consistently produce a good story.
Hello Jeffrey
Do not worry, I am sure that all 500 pages (see I can do mental arithmetic!) are absolute page turners!
Have a good trip to NY.
Kind regards
David
hi Jeffrey, if the book is completed why would it hit the stands in March? I mean y make your readers wait for four more agonising months? its cruel isnt it? :)
Everyone dreams of becoming an established writer, but the reality is, that it doesn't get any easier, if anything, it gets harder because you have to live up to the high expectations that your fans place upon you.
Mind you it must be great, just to disappear for a few hours into the realms of your imagination. I'd love that aspect of it. I think that we are all capable of being a tad self-indulgent, I know I am.
Dear Sir,
Looking forward to read your new book.
The best piece, in my opnion has to be 'A matter of honour'
Most nail biting suspense piece 'False Impression'
being ur ardent fan , i am simply delighted to know that the book has been finished and its come out as a sheer masterpiece jus like everyone of your novels right from "Not a penny more to not a penny less " till False Impressions .
I jus cant wait to get hold of the book in March and read it fully as fast as i can.
Dear Jeffrey,
Thanks for the autographed revised copy of Shall We Tell The President?
Currently, I'm in the midst of As The Crow Flies & I can't wait to get to the explosive (can it end any other way?) conclusion.
If Granpa Trumper were real, he would have said : Wrote yourself 'nother whoppa, 'ave you, Mr Archer?
Best regards to Ms Prince as well.
I am looking forward to it very much. March does seem a long time to wait though. You could always post an extract somewhere...
Oh, so not in time for a Christmas read then? Never mind, I still look forward to the new book. :)
Dear Jeffrey
I cant believe my luck, that I am expressing something which you may see.
I have always enjoyed reading all your books over and over again.
11th Commandment is simply superb (as written in different style).
It is very difficult to decide which one is the best. For me all are best... the best.
Regards
Niranjan
I'm sure your book will be great and I am looking forward to the day I can pick up my copy here in Australia. My husband has read possibly 4 books in his lifetime (he is 57yrs) and I suggested he read the Prison diairies...well he enjoyed these immensely and is now reading "A quiver full of arrows", and like me cannot put your books down. You have a new fan. Thanks for your great story telling..Jeffrey..Cheers from down under Viv and Kevin. Melbourne
If you're latest offering is as trashy as the previous ones, i'm sure you'll sell loads!
The public get the literature they deserve...
Many thanks to you all for your comments. Best wishes, Jeffrey.
Leroy Davies - I wonder if you've ever read any of my books, as 'trashy' is not my style ... perhaps you are simply criticising for the sake of it?
Post a Comment
<< Home