Header
Header
Header
 


30 November 2007

Camping in Battersea Park

One of the trickiest venues for an auction is the tent in Battersea Park - not least because the venue holds 1,500. But the real problem last night when I conducted an auction for Josh Lewsey in aid of the Prince's Trust, the Professional Rugby Players Association, and the Army Benevolent Fund is that they placed a massive raised dance floor right in the middle. This meant that if I had a bid on one side of the room, I had to go 20 paces before I could discover if I had another bid on the other side. However, it was made easier by the generosity of Josh Lewsey's friends and supporters, and we ended up raising £91,500.

There is a small group of people who attend many of the auctions I do - I've mentioned them in the past - and who are always willing to bid. One of them is Nigel Wray, chairman of Saracens, who is among the most generous men I know. Last night he purchased the shirt Josh Lewsey wore in the semi-final of the World Cup (England v France) when Josh scored in the first moments of the game, ensuring our victory and a place in the final. Among Josh's guests were the captain of England, Phil Vickery, Lawrence Dallaglio, Joe Worsley, Andy Gomarsall, and Paul Sackey. The highlight of the evening was to be a dirty dancing competition; I can't tell you who won, because by then I was at home and in bed, and for all I know they're still going strong now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home