Header
Header
Header
 


06 November 2007

Greeks bearing gifts...

The auction on Saturday for Life Action Trust and The Oinoussai Benevolent Fund was held in the Royal Opera House - another first for me. The Greeks have many qualities - passion, loyalty, love of their country, but keeping to a timetable is not what they're famous for. The event started half an hour late, and I wasn't on my feet until after 11.00pm. But back to another of their qualities - their generosity. We raised £100,000.

Two pieces of luck for me - George Tsavliris was in the audience, so I was able to get rid of the worst item for £5,000 (read A Greek Tragedy from Cat O'Nine Tales), but a new bonus was Sir Stelios, who not only put up a prize which went for £12,000, he then paid £24,000 to buy it back -bringing it up to £36,000 - and I then decided to fine him an additional £4,000 for daring to come on stage with me. He is indeed a generous man.

The evening ended with the celebrated singer, Anna Vissi, who entertained her countrymen with Greek songs, and although I couldn't understand a word, there was no doubting the quality of her voice. I left just after midnight. I have reason to believe the Greeks are still there.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Jeffrey Archer,
I´m an English Teaching student in Chile and a fan of your unputdownable thrillers. It´s lovely to be able to share with you my passion for your work! Keep it up and hope to see you round here one day (Chile is a great country!!)
Take care, all the best
Sofia

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Lord Archer
I was just re-reading "not a penny more, not a penny less" and just figured u could probably write another novel as a sequel to this book...it was just a great book, not that others since then havent been great....My personal favorites were the 'prison diaries', 'kane and abel' and the 'prodigal daughter' .....I am looking forward to many more books from you sir....cheers
sachal (pakistan)

5:54 PM  
Blogger Johnny Norfolk said...

Jeffrey

I must commend you in your charity work. You are a great communicator and is is great to see you using your gift to help so many good causes.

You dont have to bother but you do.

I find your site very interesting sharing parts of your life with the outside world.

I have never read any of your books but my wife is about to read one for the first time. i will let you know what she thinks.

11:35 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

sofia fontana - many thanks for your kind comments. Mary and I spent a few days in Chile last year, and it is a beautiful country.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

sachal - delighted you enjoyed 'Not a Penny..', and hope you will enjoy my new novel which is published in March, called 'A Prisoner of Birth'. Best wishes.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

johnny norfolk - much appreciated. Hope you wife enjoys the book.

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent post Your Lordship - and the Anna Vissi interlude must have been wonderful! You might like to know I have been recently writing some short stories, they are CLICK HERE

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear jeffrey archer..(moi bestest frnd )
u noe y i told u moi bestest frnd??
cozz ur bukss r alwayzz der for me wen im bored and entertain me wen im down and lonelyy...dan neoder frnd..
im a student and i luvvvvv ur bukss loads...
im from india..and bigg fan of ur buks..
hope to cya in India sometime..
luv ya loadss moi dear frnd..
ur luving..
rohini

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home