Header
Header
Header
 


29 October 2007

The wheels on the bus...

On Friday evening I spoke at a dinner in Cambridge, for the Connections Bus Project. This charity sends a double-decker bus round from village to village acting as a drop-in youth centre for young people from secondary school age upwards. The bus is staffed by at least three youth workers, and offers young people the opportunity to learn IT, take part in quizzes, crafts, or even karaoke. On average, 20-30 children come to the bus during a four hour period, and such is its popularity that they are considering a second bus. It's amazing how many good and honourable charities, supported by thoroughly decent people, are slaving away every day of the week. This lot can rightly be proud of their results.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea!

4:02 PM  
Blogger hypersaz said...

This is a great idea to help children of today to do something creative rather then destructive. If only mps would give this more consideration it could help to lower crime as it would give children something better to do with there time then get drunk and give abuse. As i live on a street where an off lience has just been opened and the amount of children aged 14 to 20 hanging out on the front getting drunk and smashing bottles seems to be getting higher night by night. It would be great if we could give oppotunities like this to children all over the uk.

10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These people are marvelous.

I just can't figure how the modern world calibrates heroism or success.

It's hardly an original thought, but isn't it incredible how the utterly talentless are elevated overnight, just because they have appeared in the media?



I've been a number of times to a religious site in France called Lourdes, were apparitions are alleged to have occured, and water is supposed to have healing powers.

Who knows the accuracy of these assertions? But one thing is absolutely certain, when you see countless volunteers assisting 'the sick' to visit the site, that, in itself, is a profound illustration of goodness.

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment is irrelevent to this post..I just wanted to say that I'm a HUGE fan of your books and have read everyone of them (actually I'm reading my last Archer book "Prison Diary - 3 Heaven" after which I'll have to wait for your next book to be published:)). Keep up the great work and keep the books coming! You are my absolute favourite author!

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home