9.30 a.m is my gym session with my Australian trainer, Dani. She took revenge. This is going to be a bad week, because on Wednesdays I am trained by a New Zealander, Jacqui - and if anything, she's even more vicious. Then on Friday, it's Dani again. I hope I'll be in a fit state to give you a blog next week.
I went to the Cafe Royal last night to do the auction for the National Sporting Club at their World Cup Captains' Dinner. The charity to benefit from the £50,000 raised was the Burned Children's Club, which gives support to young burn survivors and their families. The highlight of the evening was an interview conducted by Ian Robertson, the BBC's rugby correspondent, of the 5 previous winning world cup captains: the unhappy and distressed David Kirk (New Zealand), the unhappy and distressed Nick Farr-Jones (Australia), the we're still alive and kicking Francois Pienaar (South Africa), the equally distressed and fed up John Eales (Australia), and the looking rather pleased with himself Martin Johnson (England). The panel were of course asked who would reach the final. The general consensus was that it would be France v South Africa. At the Jason Leonard dinner a couple of weeks ago, Jason, Jeremy Guscott, Will Greenwood and the aforesaid Pienaar, were in agreement that it would be France v New Zealand. So much for experts.
One of the auction items I sold, for £11,000, was the six finals' programmes - five of them signed by the winning captains, and indeed all six will be framed after the final, by which time Mr Phil Vickery will have added his name to the list.
I went to the Cafe Royal last night to do the auction for the National Sporting Club at their World Cup Captains' Dinner. The charity to benefit from the £50,000 raised was the Burned Children's Club, which gives support to young burn survivors and their families. The highlight of the evening was an interview conducted by Ian Robertson, the BBC's rugby correspondent, of the 5 previous winning world cup captains: the unhappy and distressed David Kirk (New Zealand), the unhappy and distressed Nick Farr-Jones (Australia), the we're still alive and kicking Francois Pienaar (South Africa), the equally distressed and fed up John Eales (Australia), and the looking rather pleased with himself Martin Johnson (England). The panel were of course asked who would reach the final. The general consensus was that it would be France v South Africa. At the Jason Leonard dinner a couple of weeks ago, Jason, Jeremy Guscott, Will Greenwood and the aforesaid Pienaar, were in agreement that it would be France v New Zealand. So much for experts.
One of the auction items I sold, for £11,000, was the six finals' programmes - five of them signed by the winning captains, and indeed all six will be framed after the final, by which time Mr Phil Vickery will have added his name to the list.



2 Comments:
You would not have expected England to be in the semi finals. I for one did not expect them to reach them. Now of course anybody could win and it should make interesting watching. This is just what you expect from England. Leave it to the last moement and who would have thought it.
Very well done for your charity auctions. You dont have to do this sort of thing but you do.
Hello Jeffrey
Good luck to England. I think that they have a very good chance now that Scotland are out!!
Actually Scotland did better in the tournament than you or I thought...they lost against Argentina with silly mistakes and only started running with the ball in the last ten minutes when they needed a converted try to win.
I am sure Alan will lay on a home cinema for you all at his party!
Enjoy the rugby and party...should be a good night.
Kind regards
David
Post a Comment
<< Home