Header
Header
Header
 


22 October 2007

Saturday night

One of the problems of agreeing to do auctions is that charities very kindly invite you to take on the responsibility some 6 months before the event. I agreed to do the auction for the Simone Cowland Trust at the Dorchester on Saturday night, completely unaware that England would be in the World Cup final. Luckily, the auction didn't start until 10.30pm, so I was able to watch the game with my son who lives a couple of miles away. England did so well, but frankly South Africa were the better side on the night. I shot off to the Dorchester, where the auction raised £107,000, thanks in part to the intervention of an Irishman, who decided it was his responsibility to run around the room chivvying up the bidders. I kept fining him for daring to interrupt my auction, and he ended up paying £7,000 - for which he received nothing - before the evening was out. The Irish are not only witty and well read, but they are also incredibly generous. He made the evening, and I wish I could wheel him round my other auctions - of which I have three this week: one for Will Greenwood tomorrow, one on Wednesday for the Durrel Wildlife Conservation Trust, and on Thursday for Access Sport. I will keep you informed.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Jeffrey

It was a good final, England played well, but as you say, the better team won.

The best game in the tournament, in my opinion, was the third place play off, Argentina were stunning (5 great running trys), I don't think the French knew what had hit them.

Kind regards
David

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blimey you are busy! I especially like the Durrell Wildlife Trust - I am a donor and I met the late great Gerald as a child in Jersey!!

3:52 PM  
Blogger Darkersideofbridgetjones said...

I think England played exceptionally well and then think that they should feel a great sense of pride.

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home