Header
Header
Header
 


18 October 2007

Catch up ...

Sorry not to have done a post for a few days, but it's been a hectic week; having handed in to my publishers the final manuscript for A Prisoner Of Birth, I've had an auction, a charity lunch, a rugby match, a theatre visit, two memorial services, a trip to Majorca to look at some land and numerous other meetings.

To begin at the beginning. On Thursday last week I hosted a lunch for 30 here at the apartment on behalf of Marie Curie Cancer Care, to support my dear friends Bill and Kate Cotton. Sir William was of course Director General of the BBC, and must be anxious at the turmoil the corporation is in at the present time - mind you, if he was, he didn't mention it. The purpose of the lunch was to bring together like-minded people to hear about the work Marie Curie does. The charity provides free nursing care to cancer patients and those with other terminal illnesses in their own homes. What patience and dedication these amazing nurses must need to carry out that particular vocation.

That evening I boarded the Silver Sturgeon to conduct an auction for the Royal London Society for the Blind. October 11 was World Sight Day, and the evening began with a 'Flight for Sight' on the British Airways London Eye. Of course, the thing about being on a boat is that you're trapped, but on this occasion I didn't mind as I was trapped with charming and dedicated people. They were raising money for a new sensory machine to allow blind children to experience the feel, smell and touch of things that we all take so much for granted, such as the wind and waves. The auction raised £25,000 which will pay for one of these machines.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Further to the person who wrote on the latest blog, i'd like to endorse that the updates are consistently terrific.

How lucky to be considering land in Majorca; I've been going to Playa De Palma, (the German equivalent of - excuse me - "Shagaluff") for 38 years.

As one's body starts to crumble, it's a great location for seeing the many beautiful parts of the island, as opposed to the nightclubing, (which I still partake).

About 15 years ago, the builders came in and had the audacity to obilterate my childhood memories by tearing up the seafront.

But, given the marvelous German attitude, it was merely to re-build it in EXACTLY the same way..........

10:38 AM  
Blogger iml said...

This sound silly but it's so delightful to have stumble upon your blog. The author of my favourite reads.

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home