On Saturday afternoon I watched Cambridge Rugby Club play Nuneaton, and after a rocky start - we let them score first - we ended up winning comfortably 32-13, to keep our unbeaten run. On a perfect summer afternoon, the new Cambridge stars left us in no doubt that there must be a possiblity of them going up yet another division. The club has risen 4 divisions in 5 years, and the problem any club in this position faces is keeping pace with this expansion. Although we have improved the ground's facilities beyond recogniton, I am told that if we were to move up into division 1, we would have to find another quarter of a million pounds a year. Modern rugby is becoming quite expensive, although still nowhere near the madness of football. I will keep you briefed as the season goes by.
In the evening, Mary and I went to see Alan Ayckbourn's How the Other Half Loves, at the Cambridge Arts Theatre which we much enjoyed. Nicholas Le Prevost led a very strong cast, to give a packed house a hugely entertaining evening. I think Ayckbourn's plays, like those of Noel Coward, are bound to become dated, but the best ones will survive, as they are such amusing observations of the British at that time.
In the evening, Mary and I went to see Alan Ayckbourn's How the Other Half Loves, at the Cambridge Arts Theatre which we much enjoyed. Nicholas Le Prevost led a very strong cast, to give a packed house a hugely entertaining evening. I think Ayckbourn's plays, like those of Noel Coward, are bound to become dated, but the best ones will survive, as they are such amusing observations of the British at that time.



2 Comments:
Having been involved in Cambridge Rugby Club many years ago, I find your reports about them very interesting. How it must have changed.
Whilst my som played in one of the junior teams I helped run the bar on Sundays.
Even then it was one of the best clubs I have been involved in. I hope the success continues.
johnny norfolk - many thanks. The club are doing well, and the new stand is looking great. Let's hope their success continues with their match tomorrow against Redruth.
Post a Comment
<< Home