Header
Header
Header
 


05 September 2007

Past World Cup Glory

Another auction last night, this time for the Wooden Spoon charity which supports mentally, physically and socially disadvantaged children and young people. The Wooden Spoon are to rugby what the Lord's Taverners are to cricket. Because this was an ITV event, the auction, which raised £40,000, was a short affair with only three lots - a Nelson Mandela signed lithograph, a Mini and a two tickets for the final of the Rugby World Cup.

All those who didn't turn up to Monday night's event seemed to be there last night, although Michael Lynagh and Will Greenwood attended both events. I had a chat to David Campese who said we wouldn't make the quarter finals, to Francois Pienaar (former captain of the winning South African team), who was a little more diplomatic, and to Martin Johnson who concentrated on our strengths rather than our weaknesses. The former captain and Sir Clive Woodward took the rugby World Cup up onto the stage, and when I left what was a glorious evening, I wondered - remembering my age - if I would ever see the World Cup paraded in England again. Perhaps the current team will surprise us all - nothing would delight me more.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Jeffrey

It sounds like you have had a wonderful holiday. And I agree with you, the food in Tuscany is superb...we Brits certainly cannot do pasta the way they do...light and really tasty.

And by the way, with all your discussions with rugby experts, did Scotland not get a look in?!

Kind regards
David

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you enjoy s howard's booklaunch?

6:24 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

anonymous - Fair comment, but I'm afraid not - however I will be surprised and delighted if Scotland reach the quarter finals.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

anonymous - much enjoyed Sandra's book launch and wish her every success with 'Ursula's story' which I will be reading this weekend.

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you like Sandra's book?

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home