On our arrival back on Monday evening, we took ourselves off to see Michael Ball perform at the Albert Hall. He gave a rendering of his favourites from the musicals including West Side Story, Phantom of the Opera and Sondheim's Passion. He ended with Love Changes Everything from Aspects of Love, which elicited a standing ovation from the packed house. The critics were snooty the following day, expressing the view that they did not feel this should be part of the Proms season. Although I might agree with them, it didn't stop me having an enjoyable evening. I've been to the Albert Hall many times over the years, but the last time I went to a similar occasion there was to see Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr and Liza Minnelli performing together, and that's a night I will never forget.



9 Comments:
Hello Jeffrey,
I have only just found your blog!! I have been reading your books since Kane & Abel. my neighbour said read it, being a fussy reader, it was a tattered paperback, l was loath, as l like reading NEW books. I read it in 2 days, and subsequently read everything you have done. I even wrote to you, to offer my support when you were running for Mayor of
London, (and still think you should have got it!) I have all your prison diaries, and am just starting your new book, if you asked me which was my favourite, l think it would be Kane & Abel, but l also loved, as the crow flies.
To me you are the Master of story teller's. You keep it simple, with easy names. No one can tell a story like you. I have all your books together in my library.If sent to a desert island with 10 books l would have 2 of your books with me.My id should give you an idea who else l like.
Thank you for the pleasure you have given me.
When your new books come out, l buy them, and pick them up, and put them down, l like to savour them, and only read them, when l am on holiday or businesses trips.
Best wishes
Robert
Robert
Dumbing down the proms in my opinion. I would have expected a show like this at a west end theatre.
It what the BBC is about today Dumbing Down
hi,i am a far away fan i guess.im from malaysia.i truly adore your writings.and my all time fav will always be 'kane & abel'.i have most of your books in my collections.i also love your short stories and like jd,"old love" is my fav..and cant wait for March '08!!
:) rad
Dear Mr. Archer,
I am a young boy raised and currently still living in Rome, although my mother (British) and my father (Spanish) have read all your books, I must confess i never took much interest in reading or in art, even if it sorrounded me every day, living in this city. I first came across your Prison Diary volume I in London Gatwick airport, not a long time ago(i was 13 when you wrote it and 18 when I got it), I bought it because I had many hours of waiting ahead, needless to say that from there I got the remaining diaries, and later moved on to Not a Penny more, not a penny less... I finally finished yesterday False Impression, I'm not writing to you just to say how wonderfull your books are, wich is ''scontato'' as we say in Italy, but to thank you for educating me in a strange way wich made me grow up and finally extremely enjoy reading and art, from D'Annunzio to shakespeare and from Botero to Van Gogh, i have now left the useless world of television wich I now not even turn on, and finally enjoy the beauty that sorrounds me every day, and enjoying the inheritance that great artists have left us.
For all this, wich I supose is not your purpose when you write a novel, I must thank you.
Best wishes to you and your family,
Sincerely,
Javier Perez Ryan
Thanks for your Kane & Abel
mr tummus - many thanks for your kind comments, very much appreciated.
javier perez ryan - many thanks too for your kind comments. I'm delighted that you enjoy my books, and appreciate you letting me know. Best wishes.
I've always loved the Proms as it makes me proud to be British!
What with the sporting wins at the weekend too, it was nice for a change to have a smile at the end of Sunday, rather than a frown as it'll soon be Monday!
I have always loved all your works. Particularly like when they are televised. I would love to see Kane & Abel, Not a Penny More not a Penny Less and First Among Equals on the small screen again is there any plans?
Steve R (SOT)
Post a Comment
<< Home