I have been in Cambridge for the past two weeks working on the tenth draft of my novel, A Prisoner of Birth, which I completed last night. This is the story of a man who is sent to prison for 22 years for a murder he did not commit. He escapes and seeks revenge on the four people who put him there. I've never worked harder on a novel since Kane and Abel, and hope that when it's published in March next year, all the people who have been emailing me about it will feel the effort has been worthwhile.
The only difference with this particular draft is that someone now sees it for the first time - that someone is my agent who takes it away on Friday and then gives me his comments on Monday. I apologise for not giving you his name, but the last time I did that he received hundreds of manuscripts over the next few days. I must confess that despite having written 12 novels, 5 sets of short stories, 3 prison diaries and 3 West End plays, I'll still have a dreadful weekend waiting to hear his first impression, so for those of you still on your first novel - it doesn't get any easier.
I will be doing a couple of blogs this week because I'm going to the opening night of Grease on Wednesday and have one or two other interesting meetings that I will want to share with you. Mary and I are then taking a holiday in Tuscany, so I will not be reporting to you again until the beginning of September.
The only difference with this particular draft is that someone now sees it for the first time - that someone is my agent who takes it away on Friday and then gives me his comments on Monday. I apologise for not giving you his name, but the last time I did that he received hundreds of manuscripts over the next few days. I must confess that despite having written 12 novels, 5 sets of short stories, 3 prison diaries and 3 West End plays, I'll still have a dreadful weekend waiting to hear his first impression, so for those of you still on your first novel - it doesn't get any easier.
I will be doing a couple of blogs this week because I'm going to the opening night of Grease on Wednesday and have one or two other interesting meetings that I will want to share with you. Mary and I are then taking a holiday in Tuscany, so I will not be reporting to you again until the beginning of September.



12 Comments:
A well deserved holiday by the sound of it, and the new book really does sound a winner.
Even yet, JA is one of the few authors who really know how to tell a story.
It might interest whoever reads this message that I took my dad to London recently for his 70th Birthday.
I hate Sherlock Holmes as much as my dad loves him, but I arranged for him to get an up close look at what, as far as we know, is the only Sherlock Holmes story in the world that isn't privately owned.
The story was written in fine long-hand, and the only passages that were missing, had been neatly torn away from the lower part of the page.
For my dad, it was like holding the Holy Grail, but I didn't dare suggest, that there's just NO WAY that any engrossing long-story or novel is written from the top of a person's head; it doesn't matter who they are...............
I can't wait for your latest book ...any idea when it will be released Lord A?
I too have my fingers crossed that your Agent comes back with the thumbs up, I can't wait to read it, sounds a great story.
"he escapes" surely you mean he took an unauthorised absence in current parlance :-)
Hello again M'Lord. I was fortunate enough to see Beyond Reasonable Doubt some years ago. How would I be able to see your other West End plays and are there any developments with Mallory? Also how can I get a copy of Not a penny more that was on TV?
Cant wait for A Prisoner of Birth
I'm sure your agent will give the thumbs up
Ian
thanks for all your comments. ian cottee - my other two plays are not currently in production so you can't see them I'm afraid. As far as the TV series of Not a Penny, I think you'd have to try ebay. best wishes, Jeffrey.
Just a quick thought about the Mallory script, which really deserves a shot at production, compared to some of the tripe that is made;
I read the other week that Mallory's Base Camp is being incorporated into a new road the incredible Chineese are building to Everest, so that runners can go up with the Olympic Flame.
Could that somehow be used as a hook for the whole screenplay?
I just wanted to let you know that I am very excited for your next novel. I read your books with such zeal that my husband has to take the book away to make me stop. Keep them coming, and thanks.
aLL
I worked on Not a Penny More
Brian Prothero was superb
It was a great great BBC Blockbuster
HH
Lord A, your book couldnt come at a better time. I must say that the time between your novels is a bit long, I know your preperation, editing and drafts take up all the time, but as a fan, every novel is worth the wait. In South Africa, it just takes slightly longer to get here, your blogs however, keep me amused. Love your work, as we say in ZA. Thank you for been you, a true novelest.
Dear Jeffrey
How wonderful a new book to look forward to. It sounds like it is going to be another winner for you. My husband has just started reading your Prison Diaries - and he is completely fascinated and cannot believe what you went through and feels (like the rest of your fans) how totally unfair your sentence was. Roll on 2008 and your new book. Hopefully you may come to the North West of England for a signing session - fingers crossed!
Hope you and Mary have a lovely holiday.
Kindest regards
Rosemary
I cannot wait for your new book to be released. I have always enjoyed your short stories, my personal favourite being the haunting tale, "Old Love". :)
Post a Comment
<< Home