Header
Header
Header
 


20 July 2007

Tory blues

I woke up this morning to find the Conservatives have come third place in both by-elections. How the world has changed. When I first entered Parliament in 1969 it was not uncommon for the opposition party to overturn even the largest majorities during the mid-term. I'm about to read the morning papers to find out what the political experts make of it.

Ian Botham has invited me to join him in his box at Lords on Saturday, but looking out of the window, perhaps it should have been Sir Steven Redgrave - they're more likely to have rowing at Lords than cricket.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was sorry about the "Hiltongate" fiasco and that outgoing CEO got about 26 Million ... they could easily give you a steak

I am furious !!

We worked together once btw @ Auntie So I hope you reply
Ronald Searle did superb illustrations in your book

Harriet Hamster

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure the Tories will give "New" Labour a surprising run for their money in the next election ... if they don't win outright (which I kind of hope they do). I'm one of those dreaded "floating voters" politicians despise but political parties go all out to impress. I could call myself a right wing labour or a left wing tory. One thing I am not is Lib-Dem. 50% top rate tax? No way! Kneejerk reactions? All the time! No, I can't stand the Lib-Dems ... just thought I'd share those thoughts with you!

10:57 PM  
Blogger Johnny Norfolk said...

Cameron is just to wishy washy but along side Blair he did not look to bad. However compared to Brown he looks and sounds like a bit of a spiv. He is talking all the time about welfare & green issues.

He needs to get serious

8:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Lordship,

In March 2007 to me it looked almost certain the Conservative Party had made that leap forward and I had begun to relax with confidence that this nightmare we call a governing body, will soon be over.
My gripe with the Labour government, has always been the Education chants, promises Labour failed to deliver in everyway. Now we are now breeding stressed children with no chance of looking back at a normal carefree childhood.

It was not the first time I was confronted with this kind of tragedy. I remember relaxing when I heard you were running for Mayor too: 'A sure thing...or so I thought!

There was no question in my mind that you would have been a worthy PM eventually, however that was not to be the case.

Still with all the madness the world throws, you still are able to reach to us the public in many ways, which is why I must say what you probably hear too much anyway:

Thank you for turning the prison nightmare into 3 volumes of pure hell for us all. You threw out a contained ideology of The Bill/Prison cell block H and brought a reality that can only be described as 'beyond hell'

I sincerely admire your honesty and the strength her Ladyship maintain and thank God you are still writing.

Books like that do not come every so often. The last one that kept me out of the present government's woes was 'The Da Vinci Code'

I read your 3 volumes word per word and felt as a reader that I walked every inch of the way.

Thank you.

I had held off reading the fist for a long time and had it on my bookshelf for months.

For anyone out there who has not read, I recommend you read is as it is as captivating as the first Jeffrey Archer book you have ever read [mine was Kane and Abel as a Teenager]

Thanks Lord Archer, for your love for writing and look forward to curling up with 'The Gospel according to Judas'when I can tear myself away from the shocking reality that is the 'new' government line up and their soon to be broken promises!!!

10:34 AM  
Blogger Sunny said...

Sir, this is off topic but I've just completed A Prison Diary and wished to know more about the promising writers serving time at Belmarsh.

Have any since published their work?

Thank you.

6:50 PM  
Blogger Ken said...

I have only just found your blog. You have no idea how much I fancy the idea of sharing blog links with you - what are the chances?

8:38 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

All good points re. politics, very interesting. harriet - thanks for your comment. sunny - none have published as far as I know except in the prison magazines. the exile - I'm afraid I want to keep the links to a minimum on my site at the moment. Best wishes, Jeffrey.

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home