Yesterday evening was spent with a group of ambitious young would-be politicians called the First Wednesday Discussion Group. A very attractive young lady (age 24) told me she was going to be Prime Minister and offered me a place in her first cabinet. I pointed out to her that I would be around 90 by the time she entered Number 10, but perhaps well qualified to be Minister For The Very Old - who no doubt by then will be the largest group of voters in the country. The most impressive young man I met (age 23) is firmly commited to the Labour party and already working to help his local party hold on to a marginal seat. I left with a feeling that at least there are still some young people who want to give public service, although the chairman of the group who fought the 1997 election for the Referendum Party and got 667 votes, told me: never again, I'm sticking to the day job.



7 Comments:
lol Jeffrey, good to see you got a sense of humour
The 24 year old young lady thought if she were ambitious enough she might make PM by forty.
Guess Miliband has renewed the interest in the young that one can reach Cabinet Office by 41 - lol!
As for the 23 year old young man, well yeah, amazing how many people put themselves out there and think that all & sundry are going to vote for them - as if.
One only gets votes, if one has attractive (achievable) policies, if one has been around canvassing, if one has a network of loyal helpers willing to campaign for you
If you happen to be in the right placeat the right time, or find a single issue bote decider.
Else it is all a hard slog.
And it's thesamewith a blog.
Amazing how many people put up a blog and the occasional post and think all and sundry are going to make the time to read whatever crap they write. Even the blogosphere requires networking. The more people you visit, and comment on, the more people are likely to vist your blog - the more people that visit your blog, the moreare likely to comment if you haveanything to say worth commenting on.
PS - Whereare these meetings - Cambridge? You must let me know.
I fancy a bash at the euro elections not 2009, but maybe 2014
It may seem a long timeaway, but I could do with some feedback and the shortlists get drawn long long beforehand
Minister for the very old... I like that!
Just wanted to send my best wishes, Lord A - I've always loved your books.
Take it easy
Gledwood
I love your books. Just finished reading Cat O'Nine Tales. Twelve Wonderful, wonderful stories...The way you bring out the 'unheard', 'ignored' & 'misunderstood' stories...it's just remarkable.
I am tickled that I was taken as of lofty Chairman of 1W (First Wednesday). Alas I am but a lowly email co-ordinator and occasional 'guest getter'. Additionally,I would very much like to point out that the reason for wanting to stick to my day job - or even take in laundry -rather than enter Parliament as an MP is not because of a reluctance to assist the community. Volunteering at my local hospital as a weekly PALS officer is a eminently worthy public service - and galaxies away from the internecine world of politics and unquestionably more rewarding..........667 votes notwithstanding.
Many thanks for all your comments. Best wishes, Jeffrey.
Hi,
I'm new to your blog -speaking of politics, what do you think of George Galloway? -Do you have an opinion that you can share with us?
anonymous - I'm afraid not. Best wishes, Jeffrey.
Post a Comment
<< Home