Header
Header
Header
 


12 July 2007

Supercars and Formula 1

Went to the Hurlingham Club in Fulham last night to conduct an auction at the Salon Prive event in aid of Tommy's and Great Ormand Street. The function was hosted by Mr Ron Dennis CBE, the CEO of the McLaren Group and he also did a Q&A session with the editor in chief of F1 magazine to a well-informed audience of fans (250). As I've never been a sports car fanatic, it was fascinating to hear about the world of Lewis Hamilton and the current champion Fernando Alonso, who are both in Mr Dennis' team. On the back lawn was a display of supercars - Bentley's, Ferraris, Lambourghinis and Lotus, but I must confess that when I drove home later than night in my mini, I had no desire to own one of the monsters - however beautiful they are. We raised £31,500 for the two good causes which was rather disappointing as I felt given that some people in the room could afford to spend a quarter of a million on a motor car they might have turned out to be big bidders - whereas in fact I had to rely on just half a dozen generous souls to keep the bidding going. Off to the Hilton tonight to do an auction on behalf of Children No.1 Foundation and CHIPS Charity, and will report again tomorrow.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand your dissapointment, but ever bit helps, and you are doing a cracking job, I somehow doubt these auctions would get the crowds they do if it wasn't for you as the auctioneer.

keep up the good work, and please visit Taunton again soon.

Stephen

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the fund raising, Jeffrey
One day 'I' wish to travel to England, who knows you may be able to spare a few nights stay,
From Brett and my son Ryan Archer.
Townsville Australia Queensland.
RSVP.
we have performed family history around Banbury, Oxfordshire, Cropredy Region.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

many thanks - Jeffrey.

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home