Header
Header
Header
 


12 June 2007

Sculpture masterclass


On Friday morning I attended the British Art sale at Christie's where I was amazed that a large Lowry oil sold for £4m. The last major Lowry, The Football Match, same size canvas, sold to the FA for £1.3m. Prices have gone mad. The wonderful Eric Gill, St Andrew casting his net, came up three lots later, and I am very proud to have added it to my collection. I believe Gill to be one of England's great sculptors, and you can curently see his Christ on on the Cross at the Tate Gallery.

On the subject of art, I had lunch yesterday with Archbishop Eugenio Sbarbaro, Apostolic Nuncio to Serbia, to talk about a problem he has with one of his hospital charities. I mentioned to him my great love of The Veiled Christ by Giuseppe Sammartino (1753), which can be seen in Naples' Sansevero Chapel.

I am of the belief that this is one of the 6 great sculptures in the world today, and ranks alongside Michelangelo, Bernini and da Vinci. The great sculptor, Antonio Canova, once said that he would give ten years of his life to have done this piece. The Archbishop had never heard of it, but to my surprise he told me that the Pope would be visiting Naples in the autumn, and he would recommend that he paid a visit to view this remarkable sculpture. If any of you should be in Naples, by all means go to Pompeii, but don't miss The Veiled Christ.

1 Comments:

Blogger Frank Comiskey said...

That is very true; Canova knew his stuff, but I wish some touring punters knew even a little before seeing his genius.

Some years ago, my dad, (am art nut/bore) forced me to do research on him before going on a school trip to Leningrad (as was).

So, I'm standing in The Hermitage in front of The Three Graces, and turn around to an overdressed American lady.

Alluding to a great well of knowledge that I don't have, I say, "That's..........a Canova.........isn't it?"

The Lady, (80 if a day) says "No dear, I'm afraid it's three women".


My dad is now forcing me to be ready for The Louvre in November.....i'll be staying silent........

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home