Header
Header
Header
 


29 June 2007

The man I still call Chairman

Mary and I had lunch with Norman and Margaret Tebbitt this week. Always fun to discuss the Thatcher years, and the minor role I played and the major role Norman played at that time. Margaret of course is in a wheelchair and a constant reminder of the IRA bomb in Brighton in 1984. I can only admire her fortitude and stoicism. Two heroic figures who were made constantly aware of how popular they are by others coming up to wish them both well.

Norman reminded me that he put me in charge of the marginal seats for the 1987 general election, and I reminded him that there were 60 such seats, and we won 59 of them. "Pathetic Archer," he said, "you'll have to try harder." He's lost none of his spirit and is currently considering writing a book, actually two books, of such contrast that he hasn't made up his mind which one to embark on first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home