Last night I attended a charity function on behalf of the Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia. The service provides medical care to over 80% of a huge and sparsely populated inland region of Australia - an area larger than Western Europe. It's a well respected charity and its president is the Prince of Wales.
The principal guest was Shane Warne, who was interviewed by Mark Nicholas. Mr Warne was very funny at the expense of Merv Hughes the great fast bowler, the Australian coach who made him go on the boot camp and the removal of Mike Gatting on the first ball of his first Test Match. I conducted the auction for the RFDS in the Long Room (only holds 160) which was full of generous Australians including the High Commissioner, Richard Alston, and we raised £88,000. The most sought after item was an hour in the nets with Shane Warne bowling to you and coaching you, which went for £16,000, while an excellent painting of Sydney by Ken Done, went for £12,000. I sat next to Mark Nicholas' wife Kirsten, who embarassed me as she knows more about sport than I ever will. Mark told me that not many men who arrive home late, find their wives sitting up in bed watching the US Open. It could be Tiger Woods, Mark.
The principal guest was Shane Warne, who was interviewed by Mark Nicholas. Mr Warne was very funny at the expense of Merv Hughes the great fast bowler, the Australian coach who made him go on the boot camp and the removal of Mike Gatting on the first ball of his first Test Match. I conducted the auction for the RFDS in the Long Room (only holds 160) which was full of generous Australians including the High Commissioner, Richard Alston, and we raised £88,000. The most sought after item was an hour in the nets with Shane Warne bowling to you and coaching you, which went for £16,000, while an excellent painting of Sydney by Ken Done, went for £12,000. I sat next to Mark Nicholas' wife Kirsten, who embarassed me as she knows more about sport than I ever will. Mark told me that not many men who arrive home late, find their wives sitting up in bed watching the US Open. It could be Tiger Woods, Mark.



3 Comments:
Dear Mr Archer,
I would like to report the way your books have touched me. My first read of one of your books was "Not a penny more, not a penny less". I came to read it by chance, I was on holiday at the time and the book was sitting there in a book shelf. I read the first chapter and was instantly intrigued, the story was fantastic, and I could relate my own interests to the book immediately.
I now own 10 of your books and I am busily reading them whenever I get a chance.
It would truly be an honor to meet you in person one day.
Keep the truly inspiring books coming...
Kind Regards,
Chris
Australia, Victoria, Bendigo
----------------------------------
anonymous - many thanks. Come to a signing when I'm next in Australia, which may be next March. Details will be posted on my website. Best wishes.
You are an honourary Aussie already...Viv Melb Down Under
Post a Comment
<< Home