Header
Header
Header
 


08 June 2007

Dining and donating

I did an auction for Save the Children at Banqueting House last night, sponsored by Dechert. We were raising money for children in Tanzania who have been orphaned by HIV. The project would cost £40,000, and thanks to the generosity of those present, the evening raised just over £80,000. A bottle of whiskey signed by Tony Blair (Prime Minister today) and Gordon Brown (PM in a couple of weeks) raised £2,500.

Banqueting House in Whitehall is one of the loveliest buildings in London, famous for two things that I know of (and possibly more) - King Charles I was beheaded whilst sticking his head out of one of the windows, and for the magnificent Reubens ceiling - worth a visit just for that. The only disadvantage is that you can't park anywhere near the building, so I ended up parking my mini just off the Strand, grateful for a dry warm evening.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done you! I ran the Great North Run for the first time 5 years ago and raised a smaller ampount but yet enough to keep a similiar orphanage in Cape Town going for 6 months! Unfortunately I then got the running bug and have done the run every year since.

11:34 AM  
Blogger karminn said...

Hello, Mr. Archer.

My name is Karminn Cheryl Daytec-Yañgot. I am a 14-year old junior high school student in the Philippines. My mom, a lawyer and poet, has read all of your books. She has been reading you since she was in high school. She passed on her Archer books as well as her love for them to me.

My mom advised me to start with "A Twist in the Tale." I read Christina Rosenthal several times. When I was a sophomore, I brought the book to school and shared the Rosenthal story to my classmates. The whole class had it photocopied (My mom says photocopying is illegal, but "A Twist in The Tale" is not available in the bookstores. My copy was bought by Mom in 1990. How else will my classmates and their friends appreciate such a great story if we will not have it photocopied?) I also let my teacher read it. My teacher cried, as my Mom does everytime she re-reads it.

My comment has nothing to do with Dining and Donating. But I only came upon your blog by chance and saw an opportunity to tell you how much I love your works. I am now reading A Matter of Honor.

You are a great author. It is a pleasure to have my comment become a part of your blog.

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to hear the fundraising effort was an overwhelming success. Contributing to meaningful causes is a way we can each change the world for the better. As for your story about parking your "mini," I was startled by a program I saw recently where a marathon runner beat a driver across London at rush hour. Perhaps this is a sign of the future? To rethink all that we do and how could carry over to enrich not only areas of our lives, but also the lives of people we've never met.

5:00 AM  
Blogger Darkersideofbridgetjones said...

I think it must be an incredibly fulfilling and satisfying experience - fundraising, and knowing that you are making a positive contribution to the lives of others.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

Many thanks for all your comments.
Best wishes, Jeffrey

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: parking in the strand. Why not just walk there from your London flat? It's not much further and it would save the stress and hassle of trying to find a parking space in central London.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Hi Jeffrey, I wouldn't have had you down as a 'mini man'! Which one have you got? I'm currently reading the 2nd of the 3 prison diaries and would like to read one of your novels next - which one would you suggest i start with? Much Love, Lucy

7:23 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

grae - good point!

7:52 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

lucy - I've got a Mini Cooper. As for my novels, I suggest you start at the beginning, with 'Not A Penny More, Not A Penny Less.' Best wishes.

9:09 AM  
Blogger twotti said...

hi Jeffrey,

My name is shamit and i just finished reading Kane and Abel.First i wish to congratulate you on a book well written. This was my first 'Archer' and i must confess i absolutely loved the twists and turns. Though i wish that you could have suppressed the suspense with Kane financing Baron group a little more. I knew the moment Curtis Fenton had read out the clauses to Baron that it was none but Lowell Kane who is the backer. However,it may have been just a subtle disclosure towards the end but it created lump in my throat to imagine what Abel must have gone thru on learning the truth. The prose was very emotive and contunuous. I too wish one day to become a successful writer like you. Any tips from the maestro himself?

you could directly mail me here:
shamitenator@gmail.com

best of luck Jeffrey and continue the good work that you have been doing. In the coming months i hope to finsih most of your 'Archers':):). take care

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home