Header
Header
Header
 


13 April 2007

A President's Words

After my interview on the James Whale show on TalkSport, I've been asked several times about the paragraph I read out from a speech by President Theodore Roosevelt - here it is:

It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust, and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again: because there is not effort without error and shortcomings: but who does actually strive to do the deed: who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wishing you many happy returns of the day for the 15th - hope it's a good one! Do let us know how you celebrated it won't you?

10:57 AM  
Blogger Darkersideofbridgetjones said...

Okay, here's a quote from is wife. I love this one -

"The future belongs to people who believe in the beauty of their dreams".

I always tell my kids about this. Anything and everything are possible, if you work hard and are detemined.

I was reading about the tragic life of Frida Kahlo today. It really does bring tears to your eyes. Apparently she was in constant pain throughout here life. She was an amazing lady - my type of gal. I don't know why but Brian Sewell doesn't like her work. I think maybe, he's a bit of a snob. I liked to see his work. I bet he's a frustrated artist, deep down, hates talent.

Love from the Hackney Teacherx

7:16 PM  
Blogger Tom P. said...

"So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

Dante has a special place outside of hell for the Neutrals, those who avoid conflict and decisiveness. Their sin is so great that they can not even enter hell. Instead they are consumed by maggots and wasps as they run outside of the gates of hell chasing a blank banner representing their indecisiveness.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Author said...

I like that! Well said.
I also like the poem "IF" by Kipling

10:10 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

Many thanks. nigelnews - I agree with you on the Kipling poem. And Jacqui - thank you for your birthday wishes.

8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home