Had a visit yesterday from Kirstin Irvine, Head of Development of the Royal Shakespeare Company to show me the detailed plans for the re-building of the theatre at Stratford-upon-Avon, for which they are hoping to raise a hundred million pounds. They have no plans to remove the edifice (which I have for a long time thought to be a ghastly object) because it's grade II listed. However they are completely refurbishing the inside, with a thousand-seat theatre much more in the round and with far better sight-lines. The only thing I didn't like was the tall viewing tower which will be built by the side of the theatre which Kirstin assured me had overwhelming public support. I seem to be in the minority on this one. They hope to re-open the theatre in 2010 - don't hold your breath, think about Wembley - however I am much looking forward to seeing what they choose for the first production - any suggestions? Plus cast?



4 Comments:
My suggestion would be a play that is accessible to families, in particular kids. Not enough kids go to the Theatre these days, and they should. They are far too busy on their play stations. I am obviously referring to kids who are from less privileged backgrounds, not the middle class lot.
Saw a fantastic play (not Shakespeare though) called 'Out of the Fog' by an up and coming black writer, called Roy Williams, this was performed at the Almeida in Islington. I think I took around 25 kids from Hackney to see it. They loved it. The guys at the Theatre were great as they came into the school and did a free introductory workshop, based around the themes in the play.
darkersideofbridgetjones - good idea. The Almeida is excellent, and I go regularly.
His Grace notes that there is no 'norm' - the Memorial Theatre opened with Much Ado; the 1932 building opened with Henry IV pt 1. Having used a comedy and a history to open their past theatres, the new theatre ought to open with a tragedy.
His Grace suggests the greatest, most sublime and unparalleled in the English Language - King Lear.
And who should play it? Why, Sir Derek Jacobi. He has yet to scale this height...
crammer - good thinking. Sir Derek Jacobi would be a fine choice.
Post a Comment
<< Home