Header
Header
Header
 


02 April 2007

Last Night at Stratford

Mary and I drove to Stratford-upon-Avon on Saturday to see the final night of Coriolanus and the closing of the Royal Shakespeare Company theatre - fear not, they're rebuilding another one (let's hope it doesn't take as long as Wembley Stadium). It was a very special occasion for me, as the first play I ever saw at Stratford was Coriolanus with Laurence Olivier playing the lead, so there was something of a dignified symmetry in seeing the same play when they closed the theatre. William Houston was outstanding as Coriolanus, though I confess I thought he was better as Sejanus which Mary and I saw last year. But there were two performances that stood out for me and will long remain in my memory - Timothy West's measured portrayal of Menenius reminds us that Mr West is one of our great actors, and the performance of Janet Suzman as Volumnia was nothing less than brilliant. The scene where Coriolanus is visited by his mother, wife and son, was one of the most outstanding pieces of direction I have seen in 40 years. I've watched Gregory Doran's work over many years, and among my favourites is Cyrano de Berjerac, Macbeth and Much Ado About Nothing, and have reached that stage that whenever I see his name on a poster, I ring the box office and book seats immediately.

3 Comments:

Blogger vijay said...

Hello sir, great to see your blogs. this is vj here.. i have been an ardent fan of yours since i was in school.. been ages i guess.. read all your works so far, and i had this quick question about one of your short stories about an indian cricket captain, who was given a reprieve by english captain while he scored his debut century, i believed it was nawab patodi, but tody reading an artcile on cricinfo ( http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/cricinfomagazine/content/current/story/287788.html)
i realised it was pretty close to your short story and the captain could have been lala amarnath too.. so i was wondering of you could clear the confusion about the same.. thanks and regards,

Vijay parihar
www.vijayparihar.com

8:04 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

Vijay - I assume you're referring to my short story 'The Century' from 'A Quiver Full of Arrows', and no, I wasn't thinking of Patodi when I wrote it. Hope you enjoyed the story.

9:16 AM  
Blogger vijay said...

I guess its gonna remain a suspense, but by any chance was it lala/mohindar amarnath? I know you might not wanna reveal it, but my curiosity gets better of me and i am tempted to ask if you can actually disclose the captain by any chance?? Have been wondering now for almost 7-8 years..

Also thanks for the prompt response, didn't realize you were so active on blogs. Really appreciate that.

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home