Header
Header
Header
 


16 April 2007

If music be the food of love, play on...

Travelled up to Cambridge on Friday afternoon. Mary and I went to the Cambridge Arts Theatre to see an excellent presentation of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night by the all male theatre group, Propeller, directed by Edward Hall - son of Sir Peter. Having an all male cast is always an interesting idea, remembering that's how Shakespeare had to cope with the problem, especially when you think of Viola and Sebastian both being men rather than its modern interpretation of Viola being a woman becoming a man. I thought Malvolio was outstanding, and instead of yellow stockings and cross-garters, womens tights with criss-crossing had the audience in fits of laughter. I've seen this play a dozen times in the past 30 years, and I thought Tony Bell as Feste was among the finest performances I have seen of that demanding part. If Mr Hall and his merry troupe appear in a theatre near you - book a ticket.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home