Last night I attended the launch of Jacqueline Gold's book, A Woman's Courage, in a private room at The Ivy. There was an array of interesting guests including John Madejski - who once again asked me if I wanted to buy Reading Football Club, Dominic McVeigh, who had just returned from closing a massive deal in Turkey, and Jacqui's father David (Chairman of Birmingham City FC) who assured me that Birmingham will be in the Premiership next year. John Madejski raised an eyebrow.
I had to leave the party early as I was conducting an auction on behalf of Mark Foster at the Royal Lancaster Hotel. There was an entertaining Q&A session conducted by Beverley Turner who addressed the audiences' queries to Steve Backley OBE (missed an Olympic gold by inches) , Colin Jackson MBE (missed an Olympic gold by inches) and James Cracknell OBE (won several gold medals by yards). This was followed by an interview with the guest of honour, Mark Foster, conducted with consumate skill by John Inverdale. It does surprise me that a man who has been 8 times world record holder, 10 times European champion, 2 times Commonwealth champion, 3 times Olympic finalist and 12 times World Championship finalist, has never been honoured - what's that all about? The auction raised £73,000, and the most popular item was the opportunity to play a doubles match at Wimbledon with Martina Navratilova which raised £11,000. I must congratulate the Royal Lancaster Hotel on supplying a meal for 200 that didn't resemble a school dinner, in fact a good evening all round.
I had to leave the party early as I was conducting an auction on behalf of Mark Foster at the Royal Lancaster Hotel. There was an entertaining Q&A session conducted by Beverley Turner who addressed the audiences' queries to Steve Backley OBE (missed an Olympic gold by inches) , Colin Jackson MBE (missed an Olympic gold by inches) and James Cracknell OBE (won several gold medals by yards). This was followed by an interview with the guest of honour, Mark Foster, conducted with consumate skill by John Inverdale. It does surprise me that a man who has been 8 times world record holder, 10 times European champion, 2 times Commonwealth champion, 3 times Olympic finalist and 12 times World Championship finalist, has never been honoured - what's that all about? The auction raised £73,000, and the most popular item was the opportunity to play a doubles match at Wimbledon with Martina Navratilova which raised £11,000. I must congratulate the Royal Lancaster Hotel on supplying a meal for 200 that didn't resemble a school dinner, in fact a good evening all round.



4 Comments:
Very impressive. I did once come into your appartment block. I went to a party hosted by the man than runs teachers' tv. I am sorry I've forgotten his name. It was a Women 2 Win bash organised by Ann Jenkin. I don't take lifts so I had to walk all the way to the top, difficult when you're wearing high heels.
I was also at Jacqueline Gold's book launch at the Ivy. Can I please say how nice Jacqueline was. Unlike yourself. I was always told by my parents to be polite even if you didn't want to speak to the person. I came up to you to say thank you for your books on behalf of my father who has read them all.I'll never buy another for him now.
Dear Sir'
I was so disappointed that you had anything to do with 'Knickerbox Jacqui'. You were always a person I respected and held up as an example of hard work to my children. We are considering making a bonfire of all your books!
A One-Time Fan.
websterp - I am sorry. I'm afraid I don't recall being rude to anyone - it's just not my style. I have people come up to me all the time and am always happy to chat. Best wishes.
Post a Comment
<< Home