Header
Header
Header
 


06 March 2007

Rugby to Newcastle

Attended a charity dinner at Claridges last night in aid of the Yorkshire Air Ambulance and Liam Botham's Testimonial Year. The Q&A session with Doddie Weir, Keith Wood, Jason Leonard, Ieuan Evans and Ian Botham, conducted by Will Greenwood, was one of the best I'd heard recently. Ian said that the Cricket World Cup was wide open, but if he were to take a bet, he'd put a little money on Sri Lanka. Doddie Weir and Keith Wood were pretty fierce about Martin Johnson and his ethics on the field, which Jason said were part of him being the best captain in the business. Mr Leonard on the other hand - witty and charming as ever - did not extend that wit and charm to Sir Clive Woodward, and several references were made to a Daily Mail article of the previous day, which I hadn't read.

Bob 'The Cat' Bevan was our after dinner speaker and on his usual top form, and the auction raised £65,000. One of the most interesting items was a pair of return flights to Newcastle for a kicking masterclass with Jonny Wilkinson at the Newcastle Falcons training ground and then lunch with Jonny and Liam. Some wag shot up and said "I'll pay 500 quid Jeff, not to go to Newcastle." I of course fined him £500 and asked if there were any others in the audience who would pay this amount not to go to Newcastle - there were seven more responses, raising £4,000 - and a further £8,000 was raised for the actual prize, bringing the total to £12,000 for this item alone.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you ever rest? Keep up the good work, and by the way will you be coming to Taunton for a book signing soon?

Take care

Stephen

9:41 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

stephen - No plans to be in the South-West at the moment, but news of any book signings will be posted on my site. Many thanks.

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, I will keep checking.

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YesI was think the World Cup was very wide open this time around.

However I would go for India. A good combination of experienced big match performers that are all in form and flamboyant youth gives their batting the edge. Looking at the wickets their spinners will cash in, and Sreesanth, with his wonderful seam position, is the only fast medium swing bowler that is getting any real movement so far from what I've seen.

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ALOHA from Kauai.Just enjoyed "As te Crow Flies" Raved to my Beloved as I went along. Next thing I know we are reading it intandem She on chapter one and Me well inbto the book. Rather uinique. we both thank you for your work.
Question could anyone be as evil as Mrs Trentham? No way you had a model or did you ? Joseph W.

6:07 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

Joseph W - oh yes, I've met her. Many thanks.

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home