Header
Header
Header
 


30 March 2007

New York New York


New York is still the most frenetic city on earth; bustling, bubbling and noisy, which could easily be translated as rude by more docile souls. Frank and I began the morning on NBC's the Today Show, where we're given four and a half minutes to explain why we've written The Gospel According to Judas. I remind Frank, who's used to giving one hour lectures without drawing breath, that four and half minutes is 270 seconds, which is 135 seconds each - minus whatever the interviewer dares to take - and as I want to get six points over during that time, I ask him never to speak for more than 30 seconds. While you're sitting in the studio you can never tell how an interview has gone, but you can judge for yourselves by watching the interview from the link on my home page.

The Today Show was followed by several other radio interviews during the day, ending up at Border's bookshop on Columbus Circle, to give a talk and do a signing session. There's always a surprise on every trip, and for me it was seeing in the audience my old friend Wendell Mottley, who had been President of the Cambridge Athletics Club and Captain of the West Indies Olympic squad when we were both at university. Although he was an usher at my wedding, we haven't seen each other for many years, and we had a long and very enjoyable dinner catching up with each others' lives. He confirmed what many New Yorkers had been telling me, that Michael Bloomberg is doing a fantastic job as Mayor of the city and many are suggesting that he might end up as the Republican candidate for President of the United States. I'm told that when he's asked directly if he would consider standing for President, he replies, I'm a 5ft 7", multi-millionnaire, Jewish New Yorker, so what chance do I have? I would have thought just as good a chance as a woman or a black candidate - perhaps America is ready to consider ability the most important asset in their next President.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Jeffrey

Glad you are still going strong with your book tour.

I am afraid the UK is also guilty of voting on looks rather than ability. Although being Prime Minister for nearly ten years hasn't done much for Tony's looks...it's a stressful job! I think William Hague would have been a fine PM but wasn't given the chance...and now the Torys have gone with what they perceive as the right look with David Cameron.

Kind regards
David

PS...couldn't get the video link to open, so couldn't judge if you had got your message across on NBC

6:38 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Thank you for the detailed blog entries with links which makes following the tour and gaining access to the numerous interviews easy. Much more interesting to see the two of you talk about your work in clips than read the blogs of armchair critics! Good luck with the rest of the launch and much success to you and Frank in this endeavor. I have ordered my copy and look forward to a good read!

3:00 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Interesting though, just as we know when we walk thru life, a kind word or a kind heart can lift us out of the gutter, whilst a slip or an error can send us to the gutter - as in 'snakes & ladders' - throw the next dice.

And just as circumstance and friends can elevate us or open doors which remain closed to others

It is said the Templar Secret, the real Templar's secret, was that it was revealed that after death, there is judgement or weighing of the heart (as of ancient egyptian folklore) and everyone must face the score - everyone must face the music - and pay the piper.

We often hear it said "don't pay the ferryman till he gets you to the other shore" - but in the afterlife no amount of gold can get one in thru the door. So what was it really all for.

Having said that creation of wealth is good, it's what people are willing to sacrifice or do to create or gain such wealth - that will always be the 'hot' debate.

After all slave trade was justified by the church, because they were heathens (subhuman?) and anyway they were already slaves when they were 'bought' - and they were good for the economy & wealth.

Until someone pointed out that the economy would grow if we pay slaves for their labour (not labourers slave wages) - then we could put the joke of high mortgages, high debt and high interest round their necks.

But of course it is good, it creates wealth and makes Us richer too. lol!

I guess Judas would betray us all.
Or maybe Judas is the prosecutor in the 'weighing of the heart'

1:05 PM  
Blogger J.T. said...

When I was a single girl and working in Kuala Lumpur, your books kept me awake at night and were my constant companions on the train to work. Thank you. I look forward to reading "The Gospel According to Judas".

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home