Header
Header
Header
 


26 February 2007

Sports mad

I took the train to Bristol last Saturday afternoon as I was speaking at the Jon Lewis Testimonial dinner at Ashton Gate, the home of Bristol City Football Club. I was the guest speaker, and Ian Bell, Liam Plunkett and Jon Lewis were on the panel for a Q&A session. Ian Bell told me during dinner that any of the top 8 nations could win the World Cup and although he has great respoect for Australia, he rated Pakistan and of course the home team, the West Indies. He went on to tell me that he'd had a few days off, but had been in the nets that morning and was hitting the ball sweetly. Good luck to the team.

I'd caught an early afternoon train so that I could sit in my hotel room and watch England play Ireland at Dublin's Croke Park. I have little to add to the obituaries on most of the sports pages this week, other than to say that the Irish are the last nation on earth who still have the courtesy to remain silent during a penalty kick - even when it's the visiting team's. It's hard to believe the English will be able to defend the cup, and I suspect now that only the French or the Irish will be a real challenge to the All Blacks.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Mr. Archer,

You are the first author I started reading books and I loved all your books except "Sons of Fortune" and "False Impression". They didnt generate the same excitement as Kane and Abel, 11th Commandment, A matter of Honor, Honor among thieves, As the crow files, Shall we tell the president, Not a penny more, Not a penny less. Each of these books I read countless times except the first 2 I mentioned...somehow I didnt feel like reading them again.

Everytime I read Kane and Abel, I cried when Matthew died. I loved the speech Kane gives when he goes to New York to contest as the Chairman of Lester's the first time, it was an awesome speech and inspiring too...

I am looking forward to your next books...hopefully I will read them countless times too :)

After you my next favorite authors are

Fredrick Forsythe
Ken Follett
Dan Brown
John Grisham

The top 3 belong to UK....

Wanted to say Hi,

Regards,
Maddy

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"My grandfather, whom I also recommended Kane and Abel to, was satisfied. He was the one who explained to me that Kane and Abel were biblical characters"

I am not a Christian so I dont know which characters they are...

Could you tell me which biblical characters are Kane and Abel

2:23 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

anonymous - Cain and Abel were the sons of Adam and Eve, and Cain murdered his brother Abel.

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home