Header
Header
Header
 


18 December 2006

Parties and Shepherds Pie

Last week was a tough week. A car picked me up each morning at 8.30am and I was taken off to a studio in East London for the filming of Fortune: Million Pound Giveaway, which goes on till 10pm. At the end of each day, I was exhausted, partly because I don't know how to pace myself, and partly because while you're actually on set and in front of a studio audience, you have to concentrate for hour upon hour.

For many years I've had to decide whether to give someone money, often based simply on a letter; in this show, you get to see, face to face, people who want to travel abroad, clear their debts, have an operation, go on journey in a rocket, or build a church hall. My criteria for giving away the money is to see how much they've raised themselves, and how willing they are to continue funding the enterprise afterwards. Not many fell into this category, but the ones that did, certainly had my sympathy.

Monday and Tuesday nights were our champagne and shepherd's pie parties, which were greatly enhanced by the magnificent singing of the Tenebrae choir.

Ended the week at the Pascoe's Christmas party - Della, Alan and I first met when I was at the end of an undistinguished athletics career, and they were just starting out as two of the most exciting athletes of their generation - they sure throw a good party.

On Sunday, Mary and I travelled back to Cambridge for the Grantchester carol service - seven carols and seven lessons, and Mary sings in the choir. For me, that marks the genuine start of the festive season.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best wishes to you and your family for a very happy Christmas and a peaceful and auspicious New Year!

12:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Lord Archer.Over the years I have read and reread all your books and received your latest as a Xmas gift. It is every bit as absorbing and cleverly written as the rest. Many thanks and I hope 2007 is kind to you. Regards from Australia. Carol Dicker

1:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Jeffrey,
I was lucky enough to be invited to pitch on the Fortune programme for our organisation (science made simple) which promotes science to young people. We asked for funds to help the schools who don't have science teachers and the students who may have huge potential but have maybe never been enthused about the potential of science as a career.
I can't give away what happened until the screening (!) but I wanted to say how much we appreciated your support for our initiative. It really helped enthuse us even more to keep going!
Best wishes for 2007!
Wendy Sadler

10:11 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

Many thanks to you all for your comments and good wishes. May I wish you every success and happiness in 2007.

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the show! Thought you were on top form. If people are stuck for ideas of what to do with a million quid, they could always day dream here: www.spendamillion.com ! lol.

11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home