Saturday 25 November. Mary and I had a family lunch at Lucio's , after which they all went off to the Coliseum for the matinee of the English National Opera's new production of The Gondoliers. I returned to the flat, still feeling a little jet-lagged, to watch England play South Africa, but couldn't work the new TV. It seems to require three remote controls. I ring my son who's already on his way to Paris, and he kindly takes me through the process - which he claims a six year-old could manage. I'm sure he's right.
In the evening, I attend the Make-A-Wish Ball, for which I've been auctioneer for the past ten years, with, I think, only two absences. Make-A-Wish is a wonderful charity that grants wishes for children and young people with life-threatening illnesses. These wishes might be a once in a lifetime trip to Disneyland, leading the Manchester United team on to the pitch, or for a little girl who simply wants to be a princess for a day. The auction raised £253,000 which included £78,000 to spend a weekend with Jenson Button at the Silverstone Grand Prix.
I got home about 2.00am, and slept until 10.00am the next day, when Mary and I travelled up to join a friend for lunch in Essex. From there we went on to Cambridge, where I was quizmaster at the Cambridge University Law Society's annual Wintercomfort Quiz held at Fitzwilliam College. The winning team was Slaughter & May; I won't tell you which team came bottom, but they were all given wooden spoons.
Had to travel back to London late that night, arriving just after midnight, because I'm starting a secret project on Monday - more of which later.
In the evening, I attend the Make-A-Wish Ball, for which I've been auctioneer for the past ten years, with, I think, only two absences. Make-A-Wish is a wonderful charity that grants wishes for children and young people with life-threatening illnesses. These wishes might be a once in a lifetime trip to Disneyland, leading the Manchester United team on to the pitch, or for a little girl who simply wants to be a princess for a day. The auction raised £253,000 which included £78,000 to spend a weekend with Jenson Button at the Silverstone Grand Prix.
I got home about 2.00am, and slept until 10.00am the next day, when Mary and I travelled up to join a friend for lunch in Essex. From there we went on to Cambridge, where I was quizmaster at the Cambridge University Law Society's annual Wintercomfort Quiz held at Fitzwilliam College. The winning team was Slaughter & May; I won't tell you which team came bottom, but they were all given wooden spoons.
Had to travel back to London late that night, arriving just after midnight, because I'm starting a secret project on Monday - more of which later.



7 Comments:
Oh for the days when you could just turn on the television and turn a knob to tune it in. Now a days you have to have a masters degree in science. I would like to see a six year old tune in the new TV we have just bought. He or she would have to be a gifted child!
Kind regards
David
Sir, I'm a young woman of 19, I was given your book - The prodigal Daughter, by my aunt for my 18th. I didn't know who you were at the time,I really enjoyed the book,I was really impressed.I still dont know much about you, but I intend to read Kane and Abel next. I was wondering if you could recommend a really good book, that you've read and enjoyed, maybe even been influenced by.
also not to be rude but I was just wondering whether you actually manage this blog yourself??
Hi Jeffery,
You wont remember me, I wrote to you many years ago when I had written my first book,`Cloudpuncher` you gave me some good advice and I got published, I still have your letter, would be honoured if you would add my blog to your links.
PS , My second book is out next year for the 25 Anniversary of the Falklands War.
Mack.
racheal - thanks for your comments - I'm delighted you enjoyed The Prodigal Daughter. I'm a big fan of F Scott Fitzgerald (particularly his short stories) and Charles Dickens, but have too many favourites to list them all.
tejus - I dictate my blog to Alison, my PA, as I don't use a computer - I write my books in long-hand.
Mack - many congratulations on getting 'Cloudpuncher' published, and best of luck with your next book.
Post a Comment
<< Home