Header
Header
Header
 


03 November 2006

Trains, Planes and Bicycles

I apologise that ten days have gone by since my last blog, but this being publication week I've gone from one meeting straight into another.

We held the launch party for Cat O'Nine Tales at the Chris Beetles Gallery (the gallery's fantastic Searle exhibition is well worth seeing), and I signed more than 500 books.

On Wednesday I took the train to Manchester to speak at a literary lunch for the JNF charitable trust, which is raising funds for mentally and physically handicapped children in Israel. They were a nice crowd, and there was a lively Q&A session after my talk. More books to sign, then back to London.

On Friday, another speech - this time in Reading, at a fundraising dinner for The Bicycle Helmet Initiative Trust - a charity which Princess Diana felt strongly about.

On Saturday I drove to Cambridge, arriving in time to watch my rugby team beat Bradford and Bingley (not the building society, the rugby club) 41-17. That evening I did the auction for Sue Ryder Care at Thorpe Hall in Peterborough, which raised £14,500.

It's good that the event didn't go on too late, as I had an early flight on Sunday morning to Dubai. It's years since I was last there, and the city is unrecognisable. There is so much construction work going on that the skyline must change weekly, and what would strike any visitor is the number of cranes you can see. When I questioned an authority on this, they claimed that a third of the cranes in the world are being used in Dubai. I did several press interviews, a speech and a signing session, and returned on Tuesday in time to meet Mary at the National Theatre for the last night of Bertolt Brecht's The Life of Galileo, starring that classy actor, Simon Russell Beale, in the title role.

4 Comments:

Blogger Karthik Murali said...

i really feel proud of u sir,that at this age, you are able to conduct so many auctions,raise huge amount of money for the needful..
You are delgihting us with ur enchanting novels and short stories and at the same time raising money for the needy....
you are doing a commendable job and i feel envy of ur position...
i would be extremely delighted if u will reply.
that will be the happiest moments of my life........

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Lord Archer,
Did you and Lady Archer like the National's 'Life of Galileo'? You don't say.
I saw it a few days before you and wasn't impressed. Theatregoer

5:29 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

Karthik murali - many thanks for your kind comments. Delighted you've enjoyed my books and short stories. Best wishes.

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love is .... your fella riding 230 miles on his motorbike from Bristol to London and back one afternoon, just to get a book signed by your favourite author as a surprise birthday present. I am indeed a lucky girl! Thank you Jeffrey for signing a book for me - it was my best birthday gift!

12:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home