Thursday. I had lunch today at the Tate Gallery with Trevor Kavanagh, former political editor of The Sun, now considered the doyen of the profession. Trevor believes that both Labour and the Conservatives have everything to play for, and that the transition to Gordon Brown before the next Labour party conference will be fairly smooth; but like me, he isn't sure what the outcome of the next general election will be. He feels this will of course depend a great deal on the initial impact Brown has as Prime Minister - though he knows one senior political editor who has taken a bet on labour increasing its majority. I pressed him on which party The Sun would be supporting, and he told me no decision has yet been made; he'll be watching the next 12 months even more keenly than the rest of us.
Last night I did an auction at St Paul's Cathedral for The Eve Appeal (ovarian cancer). It was the first time an auction had ever been allowed to be conducted in the Cathedral, and we raised £59,000.
Off to Dublin this morning for an appearance tonight on The Late Late Show. I'll tell you all about it when I get back.
Last night I did an auction at St Paul's Cathedral for The Eve Appeal (ovarian cancer). It was the first time an auction had ever been allowed to be conducted in the Cathedral, and we raised £59,000.
Off to Dublin this morning for an appearance tonight on The Late Late Show. I'll tell you all about it when I get back.



10 Comments:
I am a new fan of yours, just completed reading Kane and Abel and The Prodigal Daughter, am about to get stuck into Honour Among Thieves. Have Twelve Red Herrings on the shelf but will re-read as I'm not sure if I read it or it was given to me without being read yet. Interesting you mention Rijksmuseum and Rembrandt, I work for the National Gallery of Vic (NGV) in Melbourne and we had the Dutch Masters exhibition not so long ago which was the 2nd biggest attended in the history of the NGV.
Cheers, Arthur (Melb Vic Australia)
Dear Jeffrey,
What a surprise to see you at Dublin airport - I never normally see 'famous' people! I also saw Laurence Llewlyn-Bowen and his wife. You must all have been heading home after the Late Late Show. Anyway, I'd like to ask if enjoy being recognised? I noticed one woman trying to get a picture of you on her mobile but you made a swift exit from the plane and disappeared.
BTW great site.
sir ,
my only request to u is that you must visit India soon and come to Chennai,downsouth of India....
India would be highly proud to host such an incredible author and to listen to your brainstorming speeches.......
anonymous - many thanks, delighted you've enjoyed my books. I'm off to Australia on a book tour on Friday, and will be in Melbourne next Wednesday - and much looking forward to it. Sadly, it's such a brief stay in Melbourne I'm not sure I'll get to the NGV this time.
Best wishes.
anonymous - I'm used to being recognised, and on this occasion I was rushing back from Dublin to get back into town for another event that evening. Glad you like the site.
Earlier this year I read my first Jeffrey Archer "Kane and Abel" I quickly went out and bought "Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less" and continued reading all your novels and short stories to date. What a storyteller? And we Irish pride ourselves in our storytelling! Thank you for using what I believe is a God given gift to bring so much enjoyment to our reading. I'm just about finished "Sons of Fortune" and will start "False Impression" in a couple of days. Tomorrow I will collect a signed copy of "Cat O'Nine Tales" .Sorry to have missed your signing in Dublin. Finally congratulations on your 40th wedding anniversary something we share.
John (Dublin)
Lord Archer I have just finished your Prison Diarys and would like to take this opportunity to say I found then a very enjoyable read. As a serving Prison Officer for 18 years I thank you for not dwelling on the negative and more on the positive aspect of uniformed staff. However I do feel that having experienced what you have, that you with the influence and the friends could be contributing more with regards to the changes you suggested in the final stages of volume three changes that a large majority of staff within th system would agree with .
Dear Jeffrey,
I loved all of your prison diaries.
Best of luck with your latest book.
Do you enjoy the book tours, or do they get tiresome?
richard arooga - I never get tired of book tours - I meet such interesting people. mike - thanks, hopefully I'll be in the US again in the Spring. Glad you enjoyed Cat O'Nine Tales.
Murdoch will not choose whom to support with his newspapers until he thinks he knows who is going to win the next General Election. I predict that if Gordon Brown becomes leader, Murdoch will support Cameron. If John Reid throws his hat in and wins the leadership, Murdoch support will remain with Labour. Just a theory, though!
Ann
Post a Comment
<< Home