Header
Header
Header
 


29 November 2006

Ashes to Ashes

Thursday 23 November. I woke early full of anticipation - the opening day of The Ashes.

Brisbane is teeming with visitors, many of them from England, and when my driver picked me up at 9.00am (despite the fact that the match didn't begin until 10.00am, and the ground was a mere 3 miles away), this was highlighted by the huge number of signs outside the bars welcoming the Barmy Army. The traffic was heavy, and the pavements heaving, and a particularly attractive girl overtook the car three times - and she was walking.

I arrived at the Members' entrance at 9.35, to be met by the Chief Executive of Brisbane Cricket Club, who kindly accompanied me to a private corporate box. The Gabba holds 42,000 fans, and indeed there were already 42,000 eagerly awaiting the first ball. Whenever I go to Lords or The Oval for a Test Match, it's usually about half full at the start, and an hour later, maybe three quarters full. As I entered the box, I learnt that Australia had won the toss, and, surprise surprise, would bat. And bat they did. All day. When Harmison was throwing the ball, 42,000 people were on the edge of their seats, and the Barmy Army were in top form. Unfortunately the Australians batted their way to 346 runs and only 4 wickets down. I was teased unmercifully by the Australians including Peter Costello, their Federal Treasurer (Chancellor of the Exchequer), and Allan Border, that great captain and batsman.

I returned to the hotel dejected after the match, only to be cheered up by an excellent performance of Pirates of Penzance by Opera Australia - Australia's national opera company. The Pirate King was played brilliantly by David Campbell, parodying Johnny Depp's performance as Captain Jack. It was Gilbert and Sullivan at their best.

Friday 24 November. The next morning, I returned to The Gabba to watch the Australians bat, until I could bear it no longer, whereupon I fled to the airport and began the 22 hour journey home. I stayed awake on the first leg to Singapore, watching bad movies and reading Mao's Last Dancer by Li Cunxin (highly recommended). Two more hours in Singapore's duty free, before returning to the plane. I was alseep within minutes of the plane reaching cruising height, and didn't wake for seven and a half hours. When I arrived home on Saturday morning at 5.30am, I discovered that Ponting had scored 196 runs, and England were 147 for 5.

4 Comments:

Blogger Johnny Norfolk said...

Jeffrey

Thanks for sharing your visit to Oz. i have found it most interesting and do they live their cricket.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Tejus Ramakrishnan said...

The standard of English cricket has reached a new nadir. An utterly dismal performance, one must say.

4:15 AM  
Blogger Tejus Ramakrishnan said...

i was just wondering.. if you may want to have a look at my blog as one could say that some of your thoughts have influenced me as I was an avid reader of your books.. and have read most of them a number of times.. with the fourth estate being my favorite.. I understand you are a busy man will hence understand if you choose not to, but if you do it would be much appreciated.. thank you..

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeffrey,
When you were on ABC Radio here,I can recall you being asked to give one word replies to one word questions. Your reply to ‘Warne?’ was ‘genius’. Isn’t he? Or wasn’t he now to us down here.
I am very disappointed to see criticism of Freddie Flintoff in press reports from England. I was in the stands for the whole of the Adelaide Test and on the last day Freddie gave his all in the field. At the end he was clearly physically exhausted and emotionally devastated. I sense that we have yet to see him at his best down here.

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home