Cat O'Nine Tales was published on Friday.
I began the day with an interview on This Morning, with Phillip Scholfield and Ruth Langsford. They were fascinated by the wonderful pictures by Ronald Searle, and asked some very incisive questions about how I'd got nine of the twelve stories from the time I was in prison.
Publication days are always a bit of an anticlimax. You've spent the best part of a year slaving away, going through the many stages that are necessary before it reaches the shops, and suddenly it's all over and it's taken out of your hands. During that period I have two favourite moments - when I finally hand the manuscript over to the publishers, and when they show me the first copy in hardback. By the time publication day comes, the brain is buzzing with the next project. Nevertheless, Ronald Searle has made this a very special occasion.
I began the day with an interview on This Morning, with Phillip Scholfield and Ruth Langsford. They were fascinated by the wonderful pictures by Ronald Searle, and asked some very incisive questions about how I'd got nine of the twelve stories from the time I was in prison.
Publication days are always a bit of an anticlimax. You've spent the best part of a year slaving away, going through the many stages that are necessary before it reaches the shops, and suddenly it's all over and it's taken out of your hands. During that period I have two favourite moments - when I finally hand the manuscript over to the publishers, and when they show me the first copy in hardback. By the time publication day comes, the brain is buzzing with the next project. Nevertheless, Ronald Searle has made this a very special occasion.



6 Comments:
I saw the TV interview. Impressed by the touching tales you told of inmates lives - disturbed by the story of the man who liked to spend winter in prison.
Quite happy to hear that your new collection has been published. I am a loyal fan and can not wait to receive my copy. I must tell you, in my opinion your audio versions are quite enjoyable. The narrators do a great job of bringing the stories to life, but I am sure you knew thaqt already or you would not have chosen them.
Be well
Charles McCarttjy
Many thanks.
Have enjoyed your books for many years - favourite author since teenage years!
Have facinating elderly aunts/uncles 8 all in mid-late 80's going strong - would love to tell their tales - how to start?
Just got back from Cyprus, was looking round some charity shops, saw some of your books also books by "Geoffrey" Archer, only bought the "Jeffrey ones, great author.
Sir Archer, What a wonderful Christmas we shall have at our home in Canada! I managed to obtain a copy of Cat 0' Nine Tales for my uncle. He is 91, and still a devoted Archer reader, having read all your publications to date. Last year I was delighted to bring False Impressions for Christmas from Australia, and this year I have made arrangements for Santa Claus to arrive via England. In Canada we never seem to be able to purchase the latest "Archer" until March. I know receiving Cat O' Nine Tales will continue to give my uncle pleasure for days during the Christmas Season. Thank you and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family.
Post a Comment
<< Home