Header
Header
Header
 


27 September 2006

The Queen, Nixon, Mallory and Searle

On Sunday evening I saw Helen Mirren in The Queen, which is one of the best films I've seen this year, and deserves the high critical praise it's currently receiving.

Last night, I went to the Donmar Theatre to see 'Frost/Nixon' which was sold out - all you need to know. An evening of high drama, it's the story of how David Frost put together the 6 hours of interviews with Richard Nixon, and the shenanigans both sides got up to. I thought the two leads, Michael Sheen and Frank Langella were outstanding, and when it transfers to the Wyndhams, I recommend you book early.

Today, I had a meeting with 'the money' behind filming Mallory, my screenplay on the story of George Mallory, the man who climbed to within 600 feet of conquering Everest in 1924, and may - but we will never know - have reached the summit, wearing a three piece suit and carrying a rolled up umbrella. 'The Money' doesn't think much of the title, Mallory; my alternatives are 'Walking Off the Map', or 'A Time to love and a time to die'. Any other serious ideas considered.

It's always thrilling when you receive the first book off the press, and this morning I saw Cat O'Nine Tales with the 49 colour illustrations by Ronald Searle. Mr Searle is still at his magical best, and I'm immensely proud of our collaboration. The book will be launched on October 24th at the Chris Beetles Gallery on Ryder Street.

9 Comments:

Blogger bee said...

Can you consider "within 600 feet"?

7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For another play on a title, how about "Mallory's tower". Hmm. Oh dear. Probably as bad as the last one.

12:14 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

"Strolling To The Top of The World"?

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Though no fan of yours I must say as an ex Police Officer your article in the Sunday Times cocerning motivation etc of the people you meet in prison was masterly. A genuine serious book by you on such lines covering the whole of the Criminal Justice system would be almost the definitive authority. Please give serious consideration.

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

Many thanks for your suggestions for film titles. I'm now thinking along the lines of "600 feet from Glory".

8:21 AM  
Blogger DAVE BONES said...

"One might have flown in sight of the cookoo's nest" maybe?

12:56 AM  
Blogger Madame Arcati said...

I have added your splendid site to my Fascinating Sites list at http://madamearcati.blogspot.com

11:26 AM  
Blogger sibi4u said...

Hi Archer,

I am reading the "Paths of Glory" as of now...
but I didn realise that George Mallory is a real char...

hmmm

but the book is tooo good to read....


:)

With Love,
Sibina,
One of your biggest fan...
:)

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home