Header
Header
Header
 


04 September 2006

Maureen Lipman and Pooh Bear

I attended the launch of Maureen Lipman's new book, The Gibbon's in Decline, but the Horse is Stable, held at The Cartoon Museum on Little Russell Street, in aid of the Jack Rosenthal Memorial Fund at the International Myeloma Foundation (UK). The poems are great, and the illustrations by Gerald Scarfe and Posy Simmons are outstanding.

The Cartoon Museum is well worth a visit, displaying some of the finer examples of the evil arts of a cartoonist - Beerbohm, Low, Giles and Vicky are memorable, but my favourite was E H Shepherd's Hitler as Punch. I forget sometimes that Mr Shepherd was first and foremost a great political cartoonist, who is remembered by the masses as the man who gave us Pooh Bear, Piglet and Christopher Robin. Go and see it!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do they have 18C cartoonists too, like Gillray and Hogarth? Their work was far better than anything today's efforts in the newspapers have to offer.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

John - yes, but not many. I think Brookes stands up today.

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I own a rather amusing cartoon from the Evening Standard about your prison days Jeffrey - perhaps you'd be interested?

1:50 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

elliot - many thanks, but no.

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home