Header
Header
Header
 


07 September 2006

Kings and likely lads

I was up at six yesterday, to write for 2 hours.

A car picked me up at 10.45 and took me to South Kensington (via Hyde Park Corner, Sloane Square and Harrods - perhaps the driver should give up the day job) to be interviewed by Penny Junor's son, Alex, on my views on John Buchan (The Thirty-Nine Steps, Mr Standfast, etc). I've always enjoyed Buchan, and think Fleming was his natural successor, before Le Carre took over and turned spying into a serious business.

Rushed back to Millbank to do an interview for R4's PM programme on primogeniture. In 1998, I presented a Bill to the House, to allow Prince William's first born, if it were a girl, to ascend the throne. The current law of course is that his first born son would automatically get the job. This must be mad in the year 2006. The government asked me to withdraw the Bill as they didn't consider such a constitutional matter should come from a backbencher, but should be put through the House by the government of the day. The Leader of the House gave me an assurance, from the dispatch box, that this was their purpose, and let slip - to a gasp from the House - that Her Majesty the Queen could see no reason why this Bill should not become law. By the way, this all arose because the Japanese are today celebrating the arrival of a male heir to the throne after a wait of 40 years - the Crown Prince's wife had only had daughters. No-one admires the Japanese more than I do, but frankly I think the Crown Prince's daughter should be Empress.

I had lunch with Tim Bell - as amusing as ever, though his views on Cameron can't be expressed until after the 9 o'clock watershed - before rushing back to the apartment to be interviewed by a Greek magazine, Varium et Mutabile, in preparation for my latest book, Cat O'Nine Tales.

At 4.30pm I had a meeting with Isaac and Jamie from the Simone Cowland Trust, who want me to do an auction at the Savoy for this very worthwhile cause. A couple of likely lads, but it soon became clear that they'd never done an event like this before. After I'd beaten them to pulp, they left with large grins on their faces, assuring me, it'll be alright on the night. I admire their energy and enthusiasm for a cause they believe in.

Met with my agent, Jonathan Lloyd, over dinner, to discuss a proposed TV programme that ITV want me to do. A sort of charity Dragon's Den. I've agreed to do the pilot and then let them know my final decision after that. Home in time to watch Peter Crouch score his goal for England, his 11th in fourteen games - and this was a man who, only a year ago, was booed when he came on as a substitute.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jeffrey

Where do you get the energy?! Wish I could do half your day...I am flagging by mid afternoon!

England did do well...but watch out for Scotland...we are on the march again!!

Best wishes

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeffrey, i am viewing your blog for the first time. I have just started reading your third prison diary (heaven), obviously having read 1 and 2 first! They are facinating and i am hooked, this from a 27 year old who has read only 3 books in my adult life before your diaries. Thank you for sharing your experience and for making my wife and mother happy that i am finally reading!! Sam, Leicester.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

anonymous...if you like his non-fiction, try his fiction. I'm enjoying the journey of "False Impression" right now. Jeffrey does a great job keeping you in the book.

9:40 PM  
Blogger Hades said...

Hi Jeffrey,

Greetings from Singapore (if you need a point of reference, keep looking to your right when you pass India on a world map, and just when you start hitting the ocean look down a bit, we're there). I just been reading your prison diaries (my brother is a huge fan of your stuff and I generally abhor fiction so I gave your fiction a miss), and I found them to be fascinating and really down to earth, very often forgetting that this is prison you're talking about. I hope Mary and your kids are fine.

Regards,
Hades

9:29 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

David, many thanks. Anonymous - keep going! Hades - many thanks, glad you enjoyed the diaries.

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeffrey,

I have been enjoying your blog for awhile now.

Like Gareth, I recently found myself revisiting some "older" Archer books. I have all your books from the beginning and up to and including The Fourth Estate. I believe you are the only author that I own more than one book from so that is saying something. For some reason I had gotten out of the habit of reading fiction for awhile. After refreshing my memory as to how much I truly enjoy your works I am now on my way out to pick up the books you've written since then.

Thank you for sharing your talents with us.

Mark

7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home