Header
Header
Header
 


25 August 2006

Lights, Camera, Action!

I received an interesting invitation recently to film an advertisement for a new magazine called In the Know, to be launched soon. The agency had invited three people to film three separate 30 second slots. I have never spent a day like it in my life.

I arrived on location at 8am, and didn't leave until 8pm that night. In the 12 hours on set, we shot seven different segments, none of which would be on screen for more than ten seconds - and we did each one at least 20 times; either because I'm not very good, or because they like to have much more material in the can than they actually need, just to be sure. In one of the scenes there were 70 extras, and as far as I could see, almost as many people behind the cameras. Rocky, the director, was outstanding - handling me with considerable diplomatic skill, his crew with a firm hand, and the extras with professionalism. I learnt what key grips, gaffers and tracks are, as well as what first cameramen, director's assistants and stand-ins do.

It was an experience I much enjoyed, but not something I'd like to be doing on a regular basis. Mary thinks the amount I was paid was obscene, so it's all going into the Archer Charitable Trust.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If your advert sells millions of copies of magazines for them, then it will have provided excellent return on investment. Nothing obscene about that.

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, are we not going to get treated to a video clip of your advertising debut on your website then? Come on Jeffrey, it's not like you to be modest ;-)

1:22 AM  
Blogger Johnny Norfolk said...

I saw the advert last night. It had great impact as I cant remember what it was about, you looked like you were enjoying youeself though.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

jackie - fair comment, thank you.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

jacqui - I haven't even seen it myself yet!

11:00 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

johnny - I was, and it's for a new magazine called 'In the Know'.

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeffrey, can you point me to an "Archer Charitable Trust" website or some other source of information? Thanks.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

scotch - The Archer Charitable Trust is not a registered charity, but a charitable trust set up under, and administered by, the Charities Aid Foundation (rcn: 268379), so it doesn't have its own website. CAF then distributes funds to whichever charities I or my wife nominate.

5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the ad greatly - well done for being such a good sport but I confess we thought it was a look-a-like!

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have finally managed to catch the ad - hope you had fun doing it - and I have bought the magazine! Perhaps you should consider diversifying into acting as another string to your bow? In fact, I always thought that Sam Neill, who starred in the Kane & Abel mini-series based on your book, bore an uncanny resemblance to you!

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant.
I have to confess the advert is so funny I was on the floor in giggles.
Thank you and well done for having the gall to poke fun at yourself!

1:24 PM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

I remember seeing a tv commercial filmed in Trafalgar Square at 6am... they had a group of 25 actors/models walking this way that for take after take...
... the final glimpse appeared for all of 2 seconds and was in such soft focus they may as well have filmed it anywhere. It's a crazy industry...

12:42 AM  
Blogger sibi4u said...

Hi Archer,

You know something...
"Twelve Red Herrings was the first book I read of yours.....
And when I started that I didn know that it is short stories...
I was trying hard to make a connection between the stories but I couldnt make it...
Finally after reading 5 stories I found out that it is not novel and is short stories...
hmmm


but it was really nice...

With Love,
Sibina,
One of your biggest fan...
:)

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home