
This week has been devoted almost entirely to the forthcoming publication of Cat O'Nine Tales. As there are going to be two books, a normal hardback version at £16.99, and a special edition in colour at £25.00, it's more complicated than usual. Ronald Searle has produced 49 drawings, including the wonderful cover (see below), and I'm now able to show you one of the colour pictures, to give you a taste of what the other 48 will be like. Remembering there are 12 short stories (nine picked up while I was in prison), ironically the one I've chosen is to illustrate a story that I came across in Rome quite recently. It's the tale of an Italian footballer who marries an extremely fat woman, with an ending that I hope will make people laugh. It's called In the Eye of the Beholder.
Starting on Thursday, I'll be reading the 12 short stories for the final time, and after I've handed them in on Monday morning, I won't be allowed to make any more changes, as the production team then goes into action to ensure that copies will be on the shelves for publication day, October 6th.
Once I've let go of the manuscript, Mary and I are going on holiday, so no more blogs until I return.



4 Comments:
Jeffey - the book sounds great and the illustrations are wondeful, is it for adults or for children?
Thanks for your comment; the illustrations will look wonderful, and to answer your question, 'Cat O'Nine Tales' is for adults.
Hello Jeffrey - I have just ordered a copy of Cat O'Nine Tales. It is quite unusual for adult books to be illustrated these days. Did you make the decision to have illustrations? And, did you get to choose the illustrator? I have enjoyed a number of your books in the past and am looking forward to receiving this one. I do hope you can answer my questions. Kindest regards
mj guy - many thanks - hope you enjoy the book. Yes, it was my decision to have the stories illustrated, and as I've always been a huge fan of Ronald Searle's work, he was the only one I wanted to do this. I'm honoured that he said yes. Best wishes.
Post a Comment
<< Home