Header
Header
Header
 


13 July 2006

Ian Botham vs Martin Johnson (no quarter given)

Attended a different type of theatre yesterday, when I was asked to umpire a charity cricket match between Ian Botham's Bunbury XI and Darren Gough's International side. Watching Devon Malcolm bowl to Andy Flower (one of the great Test batsmen of all time) was of course top-flight stuff, but I have to confess the encounter between Martin Johnson (bowler - former captain of the England World Cup winning rugby team) versus Lawrence Dallaglio (batsman -also former England captain) was a sight to behold - neither man giving an inch. A couple of incidents bear this out - Dallaglio glanced one of Johnson's balls to fine leg, and Joe Worsley (England rugby team) allowed it to pass him and reach the boundary. Johnson left Worsley in no doubt of his opinion on his fielding. Worsley slunk back to his position, mumbling under his breath, and a few minutes later took a brilliant catch.

The catch of the afternoon though, was taken by Will Greenwood (another victorious member of the world cup rugby side), who took out of the sky a one-handed running catch that any Test player would have been proud of. So shocked was the crowd that they didn't applaud. Truth was, it was so startling, they couldn't believe he'd done it. Darren Gough bowled with his usual fire and told anyone willing to listen that he still wanted to be in the England One-Day side. And he ended up collecting the cup because his side made 257 in 25 overs, whereas the Bunbury XI could only manage 255, and lost by 2 runs.

A thoroughly worthwhile day ended with a dinner, during which Lawrence Dallaglio, Jason Leonard (the most capped rugby player in English history), Darren Gough and Phil Tufnell answered questions, and I conducted the auction. Dallaglio didn't leave the audience in any doubt that he thought the current England rugby coach should fall on his sword. I arrived home exhausted - standing around in the sun all day is much more tiring than I realised.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting - an enjoyable post.

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeffrey my dear - these chaps won the rugby union World Cup, not the rugby World Cup...

Marketing bods at the RFU have started to drop the word 'union' in another attempt by the elite to wipe out the infinitely more entertaining rugby league.

I would have thought a writer like yourself would have taken particular care on matters of clarity.

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did Beefy play?
I've heard that he hasn't gone on the field since retiring from 1st class cricket, citing that he would never be able to enjoy uncompetitive cricket. Am I wrong?

9:15 AM  
Blogger Sameer said...

Hello Jeffrey

Your books are awesome. I especially liked 'Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less'.

Any chance that you're actually a big fan of Jeffrey Archer and enjoy impersonating him on the net?

Regards
Sameer Mehta
India

11:40 AM  
Blogger Scipio said...

Good old Johnno! HIs stare is enough to put the frighteners on anyone! As both a massive cricket fan, lover of English rugby, and passionate Leicester Tiger's supporter, it sounds like I missed a great day.

So is Will Greenwood about to depart his position as outside half and take up a position as second slip?

As for Darren Gough - I would personally welcome him back into the ODI side with open arms. He would be great alongside Mony!!!

11:50 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

Many thanks to you all for your comments.

Anonymous - you're right about Beefy.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

anonymous - Sir, you are quite correct, I should have used the word union. The union game has stolen a few good ideas from the league over the years, not to mention some outstanding players. The next thing we should copy - and I would be considered a heretic on this matter - is to play only 13 men, as you do, but that is a battle I can't see myself winning.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

Sameer - No, it's me, I can assure you.

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home