Header
Header
Header
 


31 July 2006

The hills are alive...

I've just received the investment papers for The Sound of Music at the London Palladium. The production will cost £3.75m, and I intend to take a stake and become an angel. The show opens on November 14th, and I'll keep you informed how my investment does. My record over the years has been mixed, though I admit Grease on tour has alone covered any losses on some of the other 100 or so productions - some made a profit, some broke even, but the vast majority showed little or no return.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am 100% behind you, Jeffrey.
My hero.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Archbishop Cranmer said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be staggered if you lose money on this one, my parents alone have already booked two trips to see it one of which will be a large family outing.

Good luck (you won't need it)!

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you become an angel?

3:32 PM  
Blogger Aaron Rowe said...

Lord Archer,

I am a british expatriate working in Lagos Nigeria. I am currently trying to research some well known people that have passed through the fine streets of Lagos. Some that people may not realise.

You see I have heard a rumour that you once stayed in a bungalow on Victoria Island in Lagos within the Nigerian Army Postal Exchange (NAPEX). It is also rumoured that you wrote Kane and Abel while there.

Can you help me out by confirming or denying this?

John Major and Paul McCartney are among the names on my list so far

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gather that http://www.lesleygarrett.co.uk/ is going to play the nun. This should guarantee success.

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're blog has been nominated as 'Blog of the Week' here

Just so you know.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Scipio said...

Jeffery,

If it is not an impertinent question, may I ask you who I need to bribe to get my wife a decent ticket for the front row on opening night? To say she is a bit of a SoM fan would be saying the Pope is a bit of a catholic!

I cannot tell you - as a non SoM fan - how many time I have had to sit through the DVD! After three years of blissful marriage, I am at least now fluent in every aspect of the musical - even if the only bit that I actually really get is when the Baron is singing Eidelweiss at the folk concert - very moving given the history which underpins it (oh God, it's rubbing off isn't it!). It is a lovely song though - and when I visited Austria for Christmas last year, my wife and I sang it for fellow guests at the restaurant where we were eating. They were surprised and delighted!

I do also think the walz where the Baron and Maria fall in love is also wonderful - but then I love Struass (Jnr and Snr) and most Austrain classical music.

Well done though on your decision - my wife will love you forever as result.

12:03 AM  
Blogger The Daily Pundit said...

Lord Archer, may I echo the sentiments of Archchipshop Cranmer. Your courage knows no bounds. Good luck with it.

Will you be introducing a blogroll in the near future?

12:26 AM  
Blogger Digbeth D'Marriotti said...

If "the vast majority showed little or no return" then your continued participation would suggest that you are either a twit or have too much money.

Perhaps you could give the money to charity instead?

2:38 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

Adrian - sorry can't help with opening night tickets- sadly won't even be there myself as I'll be in Australia to promote the new book and to do a charity auction with Freddie Flintoff. I've decided to go to one of the previews. Hope you've both been watching 'How do you solve a problem like Maria' - which I suspect will end up a contest between Connie and Aoife.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

digbeth, I'd be surprised if you didn't have any proclivities on which you waste money, like say smoking, drinking or gambling. Do please allow me my little bit of fun, as I feel I do my fair share for charity. Perhaps you should write to every owner of a football club in this country and tell them to give all their money to charity - the clubs would collapse overnight, or perhaps we're all just twits.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

Stephen - if you have enough money to risk, most new productions require £5,000 per unit. If you do have that sort of money, why don't you contact Lee Menzies Ltd at 118 Wardour Street, London W1V 3LA.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

anonymous - Glad you enjoyed the short story about the Nigerian minister and the Swiss bank account - it's called 'Clean Sweep Ignatius' and is in my book of short stories, 'A Twist in the Tale'.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

aaron - I have been to Lagos, many years ago, but did not stay on Victoria Island, and did not write 'Kane and Abel' there - I wrote that in Scotland.

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home